Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane 2017 - Burning through oil

Options
  • 14-09-2023 3:38pm

Hi folks,

I've a 2017 Renault Megane 1.6 GT Line that seems to be burning through oil. It's got 71kms on the clock, had a full service 3000kms ago from a very reputable independet mechanic and the oil light has come on with a warning to top up oil. Checked dipstick and it's quite low, previously it was serviced at 53kms by the main dealer I bought from and I had to top up oil at 60kms and then again at 65kms before getting it serviced.

Doesn't seem to be running bad, drives well enough but my partner did say they saw some white smoke when driving a week or two back.

I can't seem to find anything specific to this model of car, general forums for other cars are saying piston heads / turbo - any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 635 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

My old Audi loved a drop of oil but it was around 700ml for around 1k which according to Audi's isnt out the ordinary. But if your topping up in 70km then that oil is going somewhere. The colour of the smoke out the exhaust can be telling, if it has a blue tint then its burning oil.

thanks for the reply, apologies the car has 71,000kms and its nearly empty after 3000kms after service. Partner said smoke was clear - but I havent seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Have the same car in estate and it uses very little oil if any over a month or two with 175,000 Kms on the clock doing high enough mileage weekly. Did you check the obvious and make sure there are no leaks underneath? Serviced recently so maybe the sump nut or oil filter wasn't tightened fully. I have had Megane's 3 times now with no oil burning issues.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks Con, checked for leaks couldn't see anything to show it was leaking oil. We had the AC on the last week or so with the good weather and could see some condensation leaking.

What engine is your car? I've the 1.6 130bhp which doesn't seem to be as common as the 1.5 110bhp model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

It's the 1.5 110 bhp. I have no idea after that but maybe get on to whoever serviced it to make sure they actually filled up the oil doing the service and ask for advice.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Those 1.6 engines are a disaster. The Renault Trafic uses that engine and have seen plenty with really bad burning oil issues. Know a good few Trafics that got engines and turbos replaced under warranty for that problem and still didn't fix the issue. I do know Renault introduced a new process for dealing with this issue maybe taking it to a dealer might be the best bet

Thanks Pete, I've not seen many of these 1.6 myself, even when I was in car rental they were all 1.5.

I think my manufacturers warranty is gone as it's 5 years on this car, I put another litre in and it's barely above minimum level ,so going to have to go get more oil and fill it right up.

Mechanic won't be able to see it until next week, really disappointing as it drives well, quite decent spec and the extra bhp suits the car. Can't swap until next year at the earliest so need to get it fixed.

Just been reading some UK forums and there's a case of this on a Trafic as Pete mentioned above which has had a quote from main dealer for 8,000 to fix issue. Fingers crossed mine isn't as bad!

Advertisement