Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnetism

Options
  • 14-09-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

A seiko of mine in regular use, a good time keeper, (+2 spd) started losing 25 spd. I initially thought a dragging second hand on the double dome due to a knock or a failure of some kind.

I'm really careful about magnetic fields so didn't jump to the magnetised conclusion but when I put it on the timegrapher showed low amp 220's. Gave it twenty passes on my demagnatiser and hey presto, flat line and 260s amp.

Worth every penny of the fifteen euros. Buy one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Went through an airport a good few years back and my Seamaster went bonkers. Half hour a day out of nowhere. No idea what happened as I was flying a good bit at the time but some scanner must have borked it.

Dawson Jewellers had it back to normal in a couple of mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

How do you/they fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Airport seems a definite candidate for it alright. Roughly one in five movements I buy in are magnetised en route from the far east, I demag all as a matter of course.

Think I figured out where mine caught a dose. Swmbo left the baby monitor down by it. I checked the wireless monitor with a compass and anything within a foot of it has the needle pointing at it. Going to start wearing a Faraday cage on my wrist!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I should perhaps have tried demagging my Omega before I sent it in for a check. I have a demagnetiser and all and it didn't cross my mind before I sent it down to Kilkenny!

It started losing 30/40secs an hour and now I think about it? Was likely a magnetic issue. Also, I found that spring bar pliers I had laying idle and you're right, a far simpler way to swap a watch bracelet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yeah same, but for the fact I saw the amplitude unusually low despite it being worn only then did I twig it.

The only difference from the chap in the above vid is I do about 25 passes. The technique is to hold the watch head just inside it, hit and hold the button and start removing it at about a foot every four seconds out to two foot. You should change the orientation of the watch slightly each time to randomise the effctt to ensure its demag'd.

It's trippy seeing a compass not react to the watch afterwards, that and hopefully seeing the timekeeping and amp right themselves. A timegrapher is invaluable also, best 150 quid a watch enthusiast can spend.

Ah good stuff re the bracelet install tool! A decent one with correct fitting heads for your spring bars makes what can be a fiddle a snap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm beginning to put together a shopping list from this thread!

Any specific examples would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Advertisement