Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff you've forgotten on your car roof

Options
  • 14-09-2023 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Funniest time it happened to me was probably when I drove off with my wet suit gear bag on the roof on the passenger side of the car. Some fellas waved me down, and one of them grabbed the bag off the roof, and when he landed it in the passenger window he said "stay off the ole weed". I also once forgot my mother's notepad+ on top of my car roof. I didn't find it when I realised and later went back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In October/November I finished college late one evening and my mother collected me.

We went to Tesco and purched a tub of Quality Street.

We were driving along a Dual Carriage way and this car kept on waving/point up.

My mother insisted they knew me.

A while later we heard a bang.

We didn't have any Quality Street then.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

To the Austin 75 estate driverin George's street dub Laoghaire in 2016.

You left your folder on the roof above your driving seat.

I shouted at you as a pedestrian outside the window you completely ignored me and then turned left when the traffici light turned green

You probably lost the folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Years ago,my former boss collected a bag of cash (notes and coins) from the bank for the office.

Drove off, forgot that the bag was on the roof!

By some miracle, the bag was still there when he got back to the office.... lucky guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I once saw someone involved in a cycle event, drive into the starting point in a mountain forest car park, with two expensive mountain bikes on the roof ..... while forgetting that the entrance to the forest was restricted by a high bar barrier.

The two bikes and the roof rack were ripped off as the sound of his penny dropping realisation was drowned out by the clatter of the bikes off the barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A packet of ham.

And my lunch in a Tupperware type box another time.

There were bars on the roof to allow a roof box to go on, that snagged both items so that they didn't fall off.

I once drove for about 5 miles with a dead rabbit stuck to my fron bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My sister holds the record. 4 phones in the space of a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

I once drove 60km with my phone on the roof. Like Fr Tod, there was bars on the roof and it was still there when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Nice ceramic coffee cup.

Heard the roll on roof at first corner, so realised, assumed gone, cursed and drove on.

Trapped in roofbar, so was still there when I arrived at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The car service book.

On my way to get the car serviced so checked for the book in the glove box. Nice and organised, i set off for the garage. Nearly shyte myself when a woman tapped on the window when I was stopped at traffic lights. Sound of her to get out of her car to help.

The lesson was never to be organised, and I never have since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I frightened the life out of an old dear on the road out of Oranmore one evening by overtaking and flagging her down. She was about to lose the whole bag of groceries sitting on the roof. Very grateful she was once she got over the shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Eh so, last week I spotted some keys in by the rails on a relative's roof while parked up outside my house and pointed them out to them; thought that they left them there the night before. Turned out that they had missing for a solid week and hadn't fallen off even during a motorway run to the airport and about 200 other kilometers of driving. Lucky it was dry that week too!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FCTwenteBenson

Drove from an Aldi car park home after doing the shopping one day, probably 4-5km with a long steep hill thrown in for good measure. Parked at home and couldn't find my wallet searched the car the shopping bags and couldn't find it. When I was getting back into the car to go back to Aldi to see if it was handed in, I saw that it was on the roof, had been there the whole time. How it didn't slide off the roof on the hill I'll never know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a car roof, but i was popping in to the local spar last night, and i had to gesture at a motorcyclist who had gotten onto his motorbike, put the helmet on and started up, and was clearly about to pull away, and still had the lock locked to his front wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Heading to a meeting, my head zoned in on the presentation ahead. Heard a noise as I exited my driveway.

Had left the company projector on roof of car, it fell to ground on the bend. I picked it up, got to venue and to my great surprise it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Photobox

A packet of neurofen, had a raging hangover, ran into chemist They were the codeine type thar you could buy without prescription back then. Perfect for a hangover. Got home, no tablets and I remembered i had on the roof looking for car key. Probably was on the verge of tears by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Not a car roof, but similar - last weekend, I went wild camping with my son and we brought 2 rods. Did a bit of fishing (didn't catch anything). We had an awning up at the back of my van so I put the rods underneath the van overnight for safekeeping.

Following morning, packed up everything and had a quick look around to make sure we had everything. Drove off and went home. About 2 hours later I thought to myself "Where's the fishing rods?". My wife was up near where we had camped the following day so she went for a look to see if they were still there. Not quite - someone had left one the longer rod but had nicked the shorter one and the reel from the longer rod. Very picky thief but serves me right for leaving them behind. Luckily I'm crap at fishing so I'm not going to starve any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Once a few of the guys who used to work my grandad (painter and decorators in a Dublin hospital) distracted him while he was sitting in the driver's seat of his car while they strapped a coffin to his roof rack.

Many laughs were had as he drove around the city completely oblivious to the fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once saw someone drive over his 20 year old (but very expensive to replace) chainsaw. in the end, he just needed to replace a clutch plate in it IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

wife drove me to the office for a lift from the boss to a conference where we were both presenting. Put the box with the 50 copies of both our presentations on the roof of the car, closed the door and wife drove off. We followed her towards home but boss wouldn't blow horn or flash lights. She saw us and turned to pull in up a steep hill over a canal bridge. The box stayed in place all the time.

Lucky or it would have been back to the office to print off copies and probably be late for the conference. That was 1993.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

When I was visiting my grandmother with my mum and Auntie, I left my 3210 phone on my auntie's car and she wasn't impressed when I demanded we drive back the way came to find it. Never saw it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭GIMP

In the late 90s on the M50 a car with a roofbox opened, the contents mainly clothes were strewn for about a kilometre behind the car.

Advertisement