Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rab waterproof

Options
  • 14-09-2023 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the Rab Downpour Eco: https://rab.equipment/uk/downpour-eco-jacket

ON Paper it looks really good

20k waterproof

20k breath-ability

2.5 layer pertex shield

It has no inside or outside chest pocket though.

Do ye reckon this would be ok to hold off rain?

e.g. 3-6 hour hikes in something like Galtymore

Standing on a sideline of a pitch in pouring rain

Post edited by obi604 on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I have a Pertex Buffalo Wind Shirt (single layer). I have used it in horizontal wind and heavy rain on Lugnaquilla. It was fine. One long sleeve wool base layer. Fine. Pertex is not completely waterproof but is fully breathable as opposed to Goretex, eVent etc etc. Pertex will dry out in a matter of minutes as long as you are moving, generating heat. It will dry from inside out. Other supposed waterproof materials will remain wet on the inside, hence a lot of them have pit vents to let moisture, excess heat out.

I have a Montane Extreme Smock as well. Pertex outer, fleece lined, serious piece of kit 😀.

Standing on a side line, immobile, Goretex or the likes are ideal.

Post edited by Planet X on

Advertisement