Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 4x03- In the Cradle of Vexilon ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 14-09-2023 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 4x03- In the Cradle of Vexilon ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Decent episode. I like that they're using supporting cast more and more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was OK. Not the best ever Lower Decks episode. The ring planet made no sense. I thought it was all a bit overdone too especially the Boimler bit.

The game from DS9 do in it was good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It felt a bit run of the mill, and it lacked inventiveness, relying on the callbacks quite a bit. Like the previous two in this season, some sudden and dark elements, such as Boimlers singed corpse landing, or the senior officers turning out a shade abusive. I'm think someone needs to ask the writing staff if everything's okay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah that was fun. Although, I will say, they harped on about it being a setup so much that I was all like.. ok so, it's going to turn out to be a setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Was good, fun episode. Nice to see Boimler get his Lt mode activated.

Halo ring was cool. Nice to see that added to the universe.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting to see Captain Freeman with her sleeves rolled up like her daughter.

They both must get the Chief O'Brien uniform upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Fun episode, and I loved the Ringworld reference! Nice throwback to Larry Niven. Which reminds me, wasn't there talk a few years ago of those books being adapted for film or TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some clever clogs put what the Koala said into some player, reversed it and it plays "its not your time yet, Bradward Boimler"

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The Boimler & Capt Freeman stories didn't do much for me. But I got plenty of laughs from Mariner, Tendi & Rutherford aboard the Cerritos. The Betazed gift box got several laughs out of me. Rutherford speed-running the Alamaraine! game was very funny. I especially liked the gag of the box getting zapped into the "Inner Light" simulation "I miss my wife!". I thought for sure we'd get a brief glimpse of the box's "life" like a cutaway to the box sitting in the middle of a garden with a big ol' floppy straw hat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was OK but no more than that I thought. Probably the weakest one in a while really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's what I thought but I was very tired watching and now that I read this thread I realised I missed loads.

One thing I did notice was those very familiar power generators.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Have to say, I'm not a fan of the "character dies, but is OK again" trope. With Shax it was a bit of a laugh, that Pakled also a decent joke, but with Boimler, I don't know. Part of the charm of Lower Decks is the same universe rules apply as the rest of the Star Trek universe. Are we now saying that all those Red Shirts recovered later?

If they were buried in space I would hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People die in real life and are revived.

And the joke comes from the fact that Star Trek done it loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Cool. Looks like this youtuber did the reversing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFaETddze8

Video plays forwards, then reverses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay episode. Lots of good stuff but pacing was way off. I didn't really have time to enjoy most of the good bits while a bunch of tedious stuff was dragged way out. I completely missed the bit about the gift box and the inner light simulation till a poster above mentioned it.

I enjoyed the different take on the usual evil computer trope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah that episode was fine; not half as many laughs as the first 2 episodes TBH and just generally felt a bit flabby and redundant overall. At best it was a little bit of teaching for Boimler to learn how to lead, but odd too it happened totally separated from his usual crowd. The B plot with the rest of the LD crew just didn't vibe for me at all.

Thought I recognised the ensign engineer, and I was right: Charlotte Nicdao aka Poppy from Mythic Quest ( a very funny sitcom on Apple TV). A very distinct Aussie accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Something neat someone in a Facebook group picked out. The depiction of what one would presume to be "Black Mountain" in the window of the koala scene is the mountain from a Paramount logo.

Edit: I can't seem to find the logo in question when I search for it myself so maybe it's just one someone photoshopped.

Advertisement