Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Vivaro Intermittent Fault

Options
  • 13-09-2023 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a 2013 CDTi Sportive Vivaro (Vauxhall) Campervan with a head wrecking intermittent fault. The local garage has been trying to sort it on and off for six weeks now.

The van drives and runs perfectly for days, even weeks, then suddenly the engine cuts out. The first time it happened it restarted straight away and was fine for weeks. The next time was on holiday in Wales,it wouldn't restart and was two weeks off the road there. The mechanic thinks he finally got it started by cleaning all the connections to the ECU but he wasn't 109% sure that's what it was.

I thought it was sorted and it drove back from Rosslare perfectly. Then it happened again at home, I pulled away a few weeks later and it cut out and wouldn't restart.

This time the local guy checked everything and eventually happened to knock the ECU... and it started. So he sent the ECU away to be sorted, back it came and the van started straight away. They ran it for three hours, all good.

I collected it and drove it for about an hour and it cut out again but restarted. So I drove back and the mechanic said he'd take off the fuel tank in case there was a blockage there. He went to put it on the ramps and it wouldn't start. So it's back to square one. He's very experienced and has tried everything he can think of, so I'm hoping someone out there has had a similar problem and managed to fix it, and if so, how ???

Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any fault codes stored?

In the past what Ive seen on them are broken wires / shorted out wires on the loom going to the ecu - he`ll have to do a continuity check on all of them but I suspect from experience that they could be broken or chaffed right at the ECU box at the bottom. The loom rubs off the metal box underneath the ECU where the loom goes in.

Tell him to pull off the metal ECU box completely - theres special screws on it so he probably didnt remove it completely to take the ECU out, check the wiring and I suspect there will be 3 or 4 wires shorting off the ecu box.

Advertisement