Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQI report when van not finished?

Options
  • 13-09-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello All!

Can I get an SQI report even with a "half-finished" van; there will be a bed, a kitchen unit with gas properly installed and certified, storage, table; everything to satisfy SQI requirements. What won't have been installed yet are roof fan, solar panels, or any insulation on roof. Also there will be wires run for 12v appliances but not attached. Also there will be a socket for future 240v but not attached to inverter. I've heard the SQI doesn't often look for electrical work to be certified (but the insurance companies do) but does need the gas certified. I ask this question so that I won't have to pay a higher VRT as I would if other higher value items installed and van finished. Once van finished and certified by auto electrician; then I'll get it insured.

Or do you think it is worth the hassle and I should just build out the van completely, then get SQI report.

Thanks for taking the time to read; replies greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

Disclaimer - i am not a conversion professional, this is just my opinion having done a conversion myself

The SQI wants to see

1. Storage

2. Cooking facilities 

3. A bed, though this can be formed by folding down a seat

All of the above permanently fixed in the van.

I was not asked for an RGI cert for my gas installation but the SQI did check that the installation was done properly. You don't have to have gas for cooking, you can use a spirit stove, and this is often an easier installation than a vented secure gas locker.

Open to correction here - but to my knowlege there is no requirement or formal standard for any electrical installation in the van in order for it to be reclassified, HOWEVER if you have wires hanging about all over the place for a half done job then the SQI might not deem it safe and not sign off on it.

The other thing to consider is that anything you add to the vehicle adds to its value, and therefore you will be liable for VRT on that higher value.

Therefore in my opinion it makes sense to do the minimum to be legal, get it reclassified, minimise your VRT and then trick it out the way you want it at your leisure.

You should give the SQI a call with your questions though. They can offer guidance as to what is required in order to meet the standards. The guy I used was very helpful and gave me lots of info before I even enlisted his help. PM me if you want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Shoog

It's a good idea to do the minimum to get it reclassified and it's fairly standard practice.

We got ours certified with a meths stove initially and no questions were asked. However meths stoves are expensive so see if you can borrow one.

Electrical regs require any 240v install that involves a circuit board with breakers to be carried out and certified by a qualified electrician. This is the same rules as apply to a house. If you restrict yourself to 12v then I don't know what rules apply - but 12v in a car can easily cause a fire and kill you in your sleep so I think there must be some set of rules regarding safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

I am not sure this is true. The regulations seem to only apply to connection to a mains supply. See here - https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

I contacted a handful of RECI sparks about it too and all of them said the regulation doesn't apply.

*Disclaimer - you may wanted to get this verified yourself too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Shoog

I know for a fact that its a requirement in the UK so I would be surprised if it wasn't similar for here, but your probably correct in what you say.

However think of the consequences if you made a mistake in your 240V wiring to the mains hookup - your whole vehicle could potentially go live. I say this as a person who has experienced a friends camper having its whole body go live due to a wiring issue - I detected it by the tingling it produced on my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Didn't need it for the one I did earlier this year. The SQI just wrote that the owner was responsible for ensuring the gas and electricity was installed correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 pcow

Great, thanks all for insightful comments, very helpful!

Advertisement