Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd hand, nice interior-budget €20k

Options
  • 12-09-2023 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Considering getting a 2nd hand hybrid to save fuel money. Currently have a 2015 Mazda 6 petrol while I love but spending a lot on fuel, despite mainly short drives (school, sports-all less than 5km). Have 20km round trips (40km total) few times a week so petrol hybrid would probably suit better

Ideally I'd like self charging as it sounds MUCH easier & convenient than constantly plugging in

Looked at BMW 3 series, Volkswagen Passat GTE (not sure if these are good if not plugged in regularly). 

I hate the plastic & slightly cheapish looking interior of the Hyundai Ionic (no offence to anyone who has one). I want a v nice interior. 

Any suggestions or comments please?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Spending €20,000 on a car to save €20 a week is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just admit you want a BMW and people will point you in the right direction. The 330e that you'll get for 20k isn't exactly a dream interior, quite dated actually it's a 2011 design. Look at the 5 series 530e for nice interior. But will be a bit above 20k.

But a cost saving exercise it is not. Changing cars very rarely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're looking to save money then buy the Ioniq for around €10k, spend the remainder of the budget on solar panels, drive everywhere for free and cut your electricity bill by 75% would be my advice

As others said, buying a car to save money is a bit of a fruitless exercise unless you're willing to go down in spec or get a much older car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I was thinking how much can it cost to move up a few years, so looked at mazda 6 values, feck me, 8 year old diesels for 6000 euro, only 1 petrol 2015 and thats a dealer asking 8000.

If you don't want to plug in, get a ordinary hybrid, I had a lexus ct, small car does about 50 mpg nice interior IMO. I am sure there is bigger hybrid cars, I dont know any of them.

If you get a bmw 330e and dont plug in, best you will get is 40 mpg, if you do plug in, you could get 200 mpg,

your 40 km round trip, would use about 1.5 liters of petrol and 6 kwh of electricity, giving you 27 of those trips on a 40 liter tank of petrol, any thing less than 25 km would be electricity, so you could go 3 months before fills, maybe more, thats if you plug in.

The VW gte, would cover nearly all your trips on electricity, if you plug in,

You see the pattern here, you have to plug in, does not take long, a few seconds, you can set timers etc, even with an EV, you have to, I find it easier to spend a few seconds at home getting the cable than at the forecourt unfolding notes to pay for fuel.

Every car will need a plug soon enough.

The cost is up to you, you wont get alot for your car,

Advertisement