Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House well in neighbours property

Options
  • 12-09-2023 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Went to view a house (to buy) today. The seller built the house in the early 2000s and has a business next door to the property. The house does not have it's own water well. The water is supplied from a well next door which is the owners business premises.

When asked about the water situation the auctioneer said that the seller is willing to keep the supply of water to the house from the original well and is welling to create a way leave for future supply until we bore our own well.

Has anyone experience with this situation? We love the house but it's a no go for me if the house does not have it's own well and I think the seller should be the one to incur the cost of the well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Run away. Think what would happen if you fall out with the seller or he sells the other property and the new owner cuts off your supply. House probably doesn't comply with planning either which would have required it to have its own water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That can be worked out. Yes any agreement is through solr. I would look for a reduction of €8K on the selling price to cover cost of well drilling and pump installation. I sold a ruin and my water supply was coming from a well on that site. I also sold the well and pump to the new buyer. I'm now drilling my own supply but we've cooperated grand. If the well is near the site, the site boundary could be altered to include it and the seller drills his own new well. There are solutions if both sides are agreeable. Find out from local sources how reliable the seller is. That should be easy enough if he's in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Would avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What happens when the submersible pump packs up? Who is liable to fund replacing it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Would only consider it if I could put a new well on the site and had the water tested. Friend bought a house last year with that problem, vendors put in a new well and he didn’t close until the water was passed as potable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

If you are getting a mortgage the bank probably wont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd say this would throw a spanner in the works alright. When we bought our house 2 years ago we had to provide a document from our surveyor confirming that our water and sewage was all either on the mains or sourced on our own land. Our solicitor told us he's seen issues in the past where the bank wouldn't allow drawdown if your services were on someone else's site.

Advertisement