Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any rough idea on what could be damaged here and cost (experienced mechanic required)

Options
  • 12-09-2023 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

A friend of mine just got a dunt from another driver (who takes responsibility) and is its a 'rural' thing wants this done cash (fair enough).

Obviously for privacy purposes I don't want to post pics of damage.

However, is there anyone I could DM a pic, who could maybe pre-emptively advise what's likely to be damaged in this situation, from experience?

My friends concern is how long this would take to get fixed as singe parent with school runs etc

and my concern as a cynic is will someone be less helpful to pay out if costs are too high.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

Even if its done for cash, you get the quote from a reputable garage and show the other party. Otherwise there'll be all sorts of arguing over how much its actually worth.

I'd also make sure the other driver pays for a rental car for the length of time they are without their car during repairs.

Really though your friend should be advising their insurance and that of the other party of the accident as soon as possible. They can advise that the claim is intended to be paid in cash by the driver at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The party at fault can't have it both ways, either your friend brings their car to a repair shop (of their choosing) and has their car fixed up or they go through insurance and let them sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ernie84

its a small town thing. so what should happen is she takes it to garage gets quote and he pays .

I'm just trying to do some work in advance to better scope the situ. Young lad and she knows his parents so they'll want it paid and sorted too end of day.

So I imagine the quote will suffice. I'm just generally not trusting of people (call me crazy)

however you might be right just to be sure and do it properly

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You'd be surprised how quick people change their mind about settling repair bills for cash one they get a quote for the repair.

Even what seems small damage can be expensive to repair properly, add in renting a car while your car is being fixed and the cost soon adds up.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Your friend needs to remember they are doing them a favor by not going through insurance. Get a quote from a place with good reviews and reputation. They need to pay up before the work has started. Your friend can also sign a decloration to say they are happy and will not go through insurance at a later date in an attempt to get more money.

If they come back and say they know someone who can do it cheaper then it might take much longer or be done to a poor standard. Only move on this if you genuinly think the person they recommended is as good or better.

Be prepared to go through the insurance if they insist on doing it on their terms not your friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement