Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom FTTH PPOE settings

Options
  • 12-09-2023 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of switching from Vodafone to Pure. My fibre is OpenEir FTTH. I'm using my own router with Vodafone and hoping to do the same with Pure. Hoping to not have to take their Fritz box out of its packaging. Anyone have the PPOE settings? ... I did a search on boards but couldn't find them even though there seem to be some users who have managed it. I'm guessing it's VLAN 10 like several other providers, so probably just need username/password?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Username: puretelecom@puretel.ie

Password: broadband1

All of the providers use VLAN 10 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

Given that you will be using Pure through OpenEir FTTH, setting your router to DHCP and VLAN 10 will simply be enough also. It's a shame that Eir and Pure (on OpenEir FTTH) are the only FTTH isps that I know of who offer DHCP. It's a better protocol, especially for those who may have their own custom router. PPPOE tends to be single threaded, while DHCP can be multi-threaded for cpu usage of your router.

Agreed, that's the better option. I didn't know Pure also worked with IPoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they did during my recent time with them. Only their OpenEir FTTH package however. Their Siro package doesn't work with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Pure Telecom switchover happened today. I couldn't figure out how to do DHCP -- I presume that was the "Automatic IP" alternative to PPoE on my router. Wasn't sure what sort of authentication it needed or what VLAN should be set to. I tried a couple of things but nothing worked. So I've stuck with PPoE and it's working fine. Speeds are similar to Vodafone. I got 800 Mbps over Wifi, couldn't be bothered testing a wired connection as I'd have to drag out an old laptop with Ethernet. Happy enough with them as of now.

Only hiccup was they initially forgot about my 18-Sep end of contract date with Vodafone but sorted that over the phone no problem. Have the date in the diary for next year as I will be shamelessly switching provider every year for lowest rates, which seems to be what all the providers are encouraging -- my days of stupidly accepting higher out-of-contract rates due to inertia are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Am currently with Vodafone - 1GB - now on a wired test only getting 100MB down and up - rang them but they don't understand the problem - telling me they are sending out a new modem but I use my own - was OK all along until the price went up - No problem with paying the extra but have an issue with the loss of bandwidth.

Have rung Pure Telecom - will wait and see - thanks for the info

Double check your Ethernet speed, sounds like something is only running at 100Mb.

Ethernet speed was 1GB (900 odd) before the contract ended - now 100 max - no VPN running - direct cat6 cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I think @Glaceon is onto something here - check the adapter settings to see if it's negotiated a 1Gbps or a 100Mbps connection ... if the latter, try a different cable.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections - right-click on the ethernet adapter and select Status.

• Advertisement

All OK as far as I can tell

Check the link speed between your ONT and router if you can.

Thanks All - no joy - I have Pure Telecom coming on line on Tuesday - will change the router to their settings then and hopefully the speed issue will resolve

So I changed over fairly seamlessly to PureTelecom and all seems OK so far - waiting to order a fixed IPV4 address - Speed is 1GB down and just over 100 MB up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Hi,

I have an ASUS router I am try to connect to PURE directly but its not working without the Fritzbox. I get error "ISP's DHCP DOES NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY". I've tried nearly everything, including cloning the Fritzbox mac address.

Here are the WAN settings:

LAN IPTV for internet VID was set to 10

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maybe try setting the IPTV VID to something else? Might be a conflict with your regular Internet access on VID 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

Hi

Change the wan connection to PPPoE. click apply and try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

What wholesale network are you on OpenEir/SIRO or NBI? From above Pure seem to be only DHCP on OpenEir so you could try PPPoE.

I have it working now, thanks for all the suggestions. Its an NBI connection so switched it to PPPoE

I have tried PPPoE before but it didn't work - seems to be a custom DNS issue. To get it working, I have to removed the custom DNS and choose "Connect to DNS Server automatically". When I save this setting it doesn't connect (says invalid login). I had to switch it to 'Automatic IP' and save and then switch it back to PPPoE and save, then it connected. 🙄

Anyone else get custom DNS working with Pure FTTH (NBI)? Am i stuck with Pure's default DNS then?

You miss a vital bit of information the model number of the router!!

• Advertisement

That is a mighty router, I have the RT-AX88U. Can you say the DNS you are trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I have custom DNS working on my GT-AX6000. I'm with Digiweb using Quad9 for my DNS

Here's my config

Advertisement