Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push Bike Recommendations

Options
  • 12-09-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all

So i am currently in a gym the last year doing Spinning Classes and i have decided to hit the road with a proper push Bike. Could you recommend some push bikes my Budget would be 500 to 800 euro and i will be cycling from Dublin City Centre to Howth and Back.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you intending to/able to use the cycle to work scheme?

when you mention the howth trip - this is not a commute, it's a leisure/training trip?

i.e. curious what sort of functionality you need from the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Interested in second hand or buying new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

You dont hear the term push bike much anymore , you must be a native !:-) I think nearly everybody in here is pushing their bikes ( although electric assist is gaining popularity ) You’re probably going to choose between a flat handlebar bike or a drop bars ‘racer’ .Bike to Work is awesome- effectively half price unless on fairly low salary- if eligible .Mind you new bikes prices have got a bit silly .Anything with brake callipers which stoP bike like a car with a brake disc near hub will prob be a fair bit dearer than equivalent traditional ‘rim brake ‘ bike where brake pads squeeze the edge of rim on wheel near tyre .

MTB mountain bike will be a bit slow on the road and a single speed while simple will be hard to get up Howth Hill .The Decathlon €280 Elops singlespeed looks ok if only on the flat but they won’t do it on Bike To Work :-( If you got a Giant roadbike ( racer ) or other good brand with Sora or Tiagra you’d never look back ! Most common

mistake is buying too big a bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

€800 on a bike to work would be brilliant .Otherwise should still get you ( very ) nice used or new options .Post what you fancy up here for opinions .You’re not planning to park a

new bike in

the city are you ?!

Advertisement