Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Bohernabreena Resevoir

Options
  • 11-09-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All, new to this forum and I'm also a new comer to fly fishing and only started this year, but have absolutely loved learning what I know so far, admittedly not much. Have been doing mostly dry fly fishing on the same stretch of the Dodder at Firehouse but have also fished in Bohernabreena Resevoir. I've had decent luck in the Dodder but zero results in the Resevoir. Does anyone know can you fish the rivers between the resevoirs or where it flows in and out of them too?

Also if anyone has any steers for the resevoirs i.e where, when and how to fish em would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

Imn pretty sure theres no fishing in those rivers

season is over now anyway

the reservoir is hard going!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

as fourmations says, we out of season. But for next year.

It's been many years since I fished the lakes but back when I did; the lower lake has brown trout which I've caught from he surface twitching a CDC but there is a larger population of rainbows there and I've caught them with things like sinking lines and "bobbies". Any I spooned were full of small water snails - which makes sense because one of the most recommended flies was... I think it was called Black & Peacock. It looked somehting like

Very easy to tie - if you need something to do in the closed season! :)

I do also remember spending a lot time trying to catch crusing fish that were obviously feeding on nymph (midge I assumed) in the surface. I never did succeed with that. :(

The top lake are small wild browns - traditional dry flies worked for me here, hawthorn for example but, it's a case of match the hatch there. The key on the top lake is you must be really fast on the strike!

Advertisement