Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blended Work - Annual Leave in office cover arrangements

Options
  • 11-09-2023 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Working in the public service and manager has just agreed to blended split week Thurday to Wednesday in office and the following Thursday to Friday wfh.

My colleague and i have to work out annual leave cover between us, any suggestions on how to work this out fairly. i want to take holidays in october for 6 days consecitive, it would mean my colleague missing out on her wfh week, what i was thinking is that instead of me wfh when i come back from leave to let her have my days. I think this is more fair as i have not intentions of being there next year and would not be able to cover her leave in February 24 which when she has planned her next big annual leave.

Let me know if you think this would work or have any fairer suggestions that work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If your holidays mean she misses her WHF week, then it should be her choice when those days should be made up.

The days directly after you return may not suit her.

By the way, if your manager is leaving it between you to sort out, they are a lazy manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marsha

I agree, its an easy way out, its not holidays, its wfh, otherwise she is misses out and nearly works two weeks straight in the office covering my leave. I thought i was being fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Sooner or later you're going to miscommunicate. Plan it. Handy excel, a roster, a chat, whatever. keep some log to check back to and you can work out who wants what days I'm sure it doesn't really matter most of the time so long as you both feel it's about equal.

i want to take holidays in october for 6 days consecitive,

???

Call it what you wish, but if she agrees your colleague will be accommodating your leave, so you will have to be prepared to accommodate her at another time, of her choosing. This could possibly be at Christmas? Would you be prepared for that?

If not, then be prepared for your manager to step in and say WFH is not working after all.

I am prepare for that, as i said i dont intend to be in that department long, just a mater of paperwork to go through and i am gone, but you know what i am probably overthinking it, i am sure she wouldnt mind working 8 days straight while i am on holidays and then comeback and wfh on the usual rota. You are so helpful. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion, (i agree it would be easy for miscommunication to happen and someone to feel hard done by) so it looks like we need to have a good chat, its just that its hard now with us being on opposite weeks. I dont want to be unfair as she has already taken her summer holidays and her next planned holiday is when i hope to be gone out of there. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its all new ground, but i am sure we both prefer this than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does she know that you plan to be gone by then? If not, then say nothing and just plan for now, now.

You are both supposed to be working normally on work-days, no matter whether your are WFH or not.

And the manager cannot win here: if they were involved in assigning WFO/WFO on a day by day level, many would call that micromanaging. They've established the parameters (week-about WFH is ok), and told you want the standard is (daily office cover). You get to do details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree with that - people would be on here complaining about micromanaging if a manager was interfering. Managers set the expectations i.e. 5 days in / 5 days out or whatever then employees are adults and work it out between them in the first instance if they want to swap cover. If they can't agree like adults, escalate to manager nut om;u if they can't sort it themselves. managers are not parents

A manager doesn't need to "interfere" when things run smoothly - and fairly.

But that doesn't mean they don't need to keep an eye on what is going on, and stay in the loop of any swaps or changes.

If something goes wrong and the office is not staffed, or some dispute over WFO/WFH days between staff arises, whose door will it land back at to sort out?

A manager can't be completely oblivious, or wipe their hands of it and say "oh, I left that to X and Y to sort out amongst themselves."

I've also seen situations where one staff member would have a sense of entitlement over certain days or holidays, or would try to take advantage of another's good will, and would be keeping an eye out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

deleted - question asked

Post edited by TheDavester on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭wench

It's optional. It's something you have to apply for, do ergonomic assessment etc before you can do it.

We have to do 2 days in the office, but some of my colleagues do 5 because it suits them better to work full time in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Thanks, she's adamant of not doing it and i wasnt sure as i have been/am in places where you cant...

Advertisement