Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to replace/upgrade mobo and cpu

Options
  • 11-09-2023 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Looks like my MSI B450M Mortar has died. VGA light is on and went through the troubleshooting steps but nothing seems to work. Had a look back and I got this in 2019. Can anyone please recommend a similar replacement for it (Amazon preferably)?

I can also see some good value with the Ryzen 5 5600X so am thinking of upgrading? The Ryzen 7 5800X is not too much more expensive but not sure if my PSU is suitable?

This is the list of kit that I have fitted -

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor

Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 Gaming SSD

ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 (recent upgrade)

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ1B Curved Gaming Monitor 27 Inch WQHD 1440p 165Hz, FreeSync Premium,

BE QUIET 500 W System Power 9 PSU

Thanks!!

Post edited by Barack Obama on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

Don't bother with the 5800x as it will not do anything for you in the real world experience with your GPU. A 5600x will be plenty for years to come in truth. I'm guessing you don't have a high refresh monitor so even a 5800X3D will have limited impact on your system.

Now, if you have a particular use case for more cores then that might be different but I'm guessing you don't.

MSI B550-A PRO is generally viewed as solild choice for AM4 mobos.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks for the feedback- appreciate it.

Its used for work and gaming so definitely two separate use cases.

added the info about the monitor, it’s 165hz 1440p monitor.

Begore you go any further, be aware that B550 do not technically support with Ryzen 2000 CPUs out of the box but people have said that they do work. I was assuming that you'd get the 5600 with the new mobo. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Screenshot I grabbed from reddit user claiming a 2600 worked out of the box on a MSI B550-A PRO.

Anyway, Work? Again a 5600 will be more than enough for most applications. Would need details but I'm kind of asuming if a 2600 was doing you fine you don't need a 8c/16t CPU.

As for high framerates, that GPU you have will only hit high framerate in e-sports titles (which is fine) which a 5600 will handle so I really question what even a 5800/5800X3D would do for you on a day to day basis.

What you should also be aware of here is spending more for more horse power wouldn't make sense as you would be getting near to the price of an entry level AM5 platform at that point as well.

So in conclusion, either go with the 5600 and a €100 B550 mobo or you may as well look at the AM5 platform. Or even if money is tight just stay with the 2600, as long as it works, for now and pick up a 5X00 second down the road. And if you did want to upgrade your GPU you can pick up a 5800X3D second hand down the road as well.

Again, thanks for the detailed feedback 👍

The way I’m thinking, if I’m going to replace the mobo, I may as well upgrade the CPU at the same time. And I’m happy with year old technology, much more bang for your buck.

Ill look into grabbing what you suggested, a B550 mobo and a 5600x (£150).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I have a 3600x sitting idle that I've replaced with a 5800x3d, I havent advertised it, but you can have it for reasonable money if you want it.

• Advertisement

The UK has really gone down in value it appears. Germany is your best bet these days.

Caseking | Gaming PC & Computer Hardware Online Shop

Technology online shop at cheap prices | computeruniverse

Stole these links from another users post but these appear to the current favourites along with Amazon DE.

Thanks, but I’d be a bit paranoid about buying a 2nd hand CPU. I guess I would be about any parts!

But feel free to DM me with details 👍

Advertisement