Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Knife On Ferry to Wales

Options
  • 11-09-2023 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, apologies if this post is in the incorrect forum. I plan to get the ferry from Dublin to Wales where I will be bike touring and wild camping. I will need my camping knife and Swiss army knife. Does anyone have experience bringing knives on Irish Ferries or Stena Line? From their websites, it seems not possible.

I will also have a camping stove with a fuel bottle which I have more faith in being allowed but still unsure.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

They check the bags, but not in very great detail. I always carry an Opinel, for example, and never once been queried.

If you have camping gear, including a knife, in your checked baggage, it would probably be OK (A guess)

I mean, what are the chances of anyone hijacking a ship with a camping knife? Not easily done...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I brought a Swiss Army knife with me on the ferry to France last year (Irish Ferries) but I was a car driver so didn’t board via the terminal.

Security implications of a passenger on a ship having a knife are insignificant really compared to on a plane… sure order a steak in the fancy restaurants and you’ll get given a steak knife!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Swiss army knives are allowed on planes within Europen as long as blade size is less than 6cm. I know we are discussing a ferry here but I can't see a problem where it's acceptable on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

In over 100 trips by car on the Rosslare Pembroke service I've never had anyone do more than ask me a few questions and once open a bag. They do some dumb checks on cars like looking under oil filler caps and washer bottles but never anything useful. They do sometimes (very rarely) ask if you have any knives. I've a survival kit in the boot including a decent knife in that but just admit to the key chain SAK on my keychain which they "advise" me to leave in the car. Imagine taking a campervan on the ferry and not being allowed to have any knives in it?

Fuel cans aren't allowed even empty but gas bottles (switched off) are OK. If you aren't using petrol then I'd ignore that. They don't like solvents either, like paint thinners, a full unopened can seems OK but a half full can is not. Just depends who is asking as I don't think the security that do the checking have any great level of training or knowledge.

I'm assuming your bike will get strapped in somewhere on the car deck? If so I'd be putting my knife at the bottom of a panier along with any fuel. They might ask about petrol cans if you are driving a car or a van but unlikely if you are riding a bike. I'd say I didn't have a petrol "can" if I had a liter of fuel in a proper SIGG bottle.

I've just checked the rules (first time ever) https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/onboard-our-ships/prohibited-items/#:~:text=Fuel%20%2D%20Spare%20containers%20of%20fuel,the%20duration%20of%20the%20voyage and the prohibitions are about carrying knives in the port area and motorists aren't allowed to carry spare petrol and diesel cans. If your knives are packed away I don't see how you are carrying them and you aren't a motorist carrying spare petrol or diesel cans.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Foot passengers

The carriage of firearms, sporting weapons, ammunition, swords, knives, edged weapons and hazardous substances by foot passengers is prohibited at all times. Further information, if necessary, can be obtained from the Duty Manager at the port of departure. 

But the OP isn't specifically a foot passenger as their bike is considered a vehicle. They can leave any knives packed with their stuff with their bike.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Foot passengers

The carriage of firearms, sporting weapons, ammunition, swords, knives, edged weapons and hazardous substances by foot passengers is prohibited at all times. Further information, if necessary, can be obtained from the Duty Manager at the port of departure. 

I would interpret that as knives cannot be carried on your person as a foot passenger. Quite reasonably you can't wander around the decks and bars with a knife on you etc. Completely different matter to have a camping knife etc in your luggage stored away or in a car etc. A bit of common sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I see it as a bit of a grey area.

I wouldn't bring a valuable or sentimental value knife based on those guidelines.

I often brought a knife in a vehicle and was never asked if I had one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

3 inch blade or less. Or possibly 6cm. as mentioned above.

Advertisement