Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for older cars?

Options
  • 10-09-2023 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Currently on learner's permit, still got 2 lessons to go before I am eligible for my driving test. Need to drive starting next year for job purposes.

Was looking for automatic cars with a budget of around 2000 euro (maybe should have set the price a bit higher in hindsight for something newer). Found a 2004 Honda Jazz with the NCT still valid. Took it a test drive and it drove ok so decided to pull the trigger and bought it.

Now trying to get it insured and online it seems like no insurance companies are willing to provide coverage for a car older than 10-15 years old in Ireland.

I was wondering now what would be the best way to get insurance for a car this old? I know there's a thing where you can get rejection letters from 3 companies and Insurance Ireland will ask one of the companies to provide a quote but it'll be pricey. Has anyone tried this?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never buy a vehicle without getting a quote first. Have you tried every insurance company you can find on Google? If they won't quote online there's little chance they'll quote if you call so don't bother calling or requesting a call back.

A new driver is always going to pay a lot to insure a car and it being an old car is another issue. But the quote using the declined cases agreement can't be excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Try Chill Insurance on-line. They act as brokers. Fingers crossed you might just get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

I was on Chill last night looking for a quote for my daughter. Cars I input were 2010 and 2011. Got a quote for both, but she will be off N plates shortly and has more than 2 years as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pauly58

Does anyone know if this getting three quotes & rejections actually works ? I've never heard of anyone getting insurance on an older car with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭User1998

My sister got a new insurance quote for a 25 year old Toyota Yaris, in a bad part of Dublin. No problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Any idea who with ? And maybe a ballpark price ? Thanks

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Axa seem to be good for older cars. I had no difficulty insuring a 20 year old car (new business) with them a couple of years ago.. If you look at the insurance disks on older cars you see when you are out and about, you'll probably find a lot of Axa disks..

However being an inexperienced driver on a learner permit combined with having an older cars may make things tricky. Add to that the fact that the car is a Honda - even though a Jazz is not a boy racer car, other older Hondas are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭User1998

It was SuperValu I think, €2k or something (young driver)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

A lot depends on drivers age also. Big difference between under 20, under 25 and older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I can't fathom the reason why some people can't get 10 Yr old cars insured. Its not 1970 when cars were rust buckets within 10 years.

It has to be political pressure to please the greens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers only think about the bottom line. If they can't make enough money insuring older cars, they won't bother. I don't think Eamon Ryan frightens them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People can get 10 year old cars insured. But like the people driving around with no NCT because they choose not to use the system to get their car tested in time it's sound better to blame the insurance companies instead of using the system to get a quote. I know a 22 year old on a learners permit who's got insurance on a 2003 car with no issues.

It's not political pressure it's people buying cheap old cars to stage RTCs and make huge claims. The greens want all cars banned. With the switch to BEVs they are now saying that the rubber from tyres is a massive source of pollution, why is this only being highlighted now when it should have always been an issue? These are the same greens who pushed Europe into diesel and they are responsible for thousands of extra deaths, which they ignore.

Advertisement