Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

String configuration advice needed

Options
  • 09-09-2023 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Question for the veterans here, need a bit of help getting the most out of my setup and not sure if what I'm trying to do will work at all but here goes.

Currently I have two 12 panel (same type), 4kwp strings in series, facing S on the sunsynk, connected to MPPT1 and MPPT2 (each mppt has 2 ports so 4 in total on the inverter)

One string is 10 degrees and the second is 30 degrees.

Impulse buy sees me with another 12 panels, 4.3kwp to add to the N side, not installed yet.

My plan is to connect both S strings to MPPT1 (I have done this and works fine as it parallels them) and then N string on its own to MPPT2

Here's the problem I see, the low angle string gets shade from mid-October (fully shaded by November) until February-ish by the house so I think that will kill production for the unshaded string unless I get optimizers on the 12 panels with the shade which adds needless cost and things that can/will break.

I see only 3 options here:

1. Optimize the shed string with the shading from October-Feb
    2. Optimize the new N string and combine it with the unshaded string, leaving the shaded string on its own mppt.
    3. 12 optimizers probably cost as much as a 3kw inverter which will do the N string, since in theory it should never really get above 2kw power peak anyway.

Anyone sees a better solution here?

Comments

Advertisement