Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a Phd placement for clinical psychology

Options
  • 08-09-2023 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm a qualified accountant but I have always had an interest in clinical psychology. I set aside this interest and focused on finance to secure a mortgage years ago as it looked like getting a PhD placement was so competitive that it would be near impossible. My understanding is that you need a PhD to get employed generally as a psychologist.

I figure I could firstly do a masters that is recognised by PSI and then volunteer at weekends to get work experience.

1) is this typically enough to secure a PhD placement?

2) what areas should I focus on volunteering?

I suppose I'm trying to gauge the likelihood that even if I obtain a masters in psychology is likely to be just a piece of paper or is there a realistic likelihood of securing a PhD and subsequent employment?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have a look at some conversion courses (Higher Diplomas) like TCD, UCD, UCC, NUIG. They're the stepping stone you'll need first. If in doubt, email them about your background and what the route is before the doctorate. It's D. Clin courses that are that professional training route, not a traditional PhD, though some applicants already have PhDs. It is a long road. Volunteering - look at mental health, disability, ISPCC, vulnerable groups, etc.

The colleges generally have some good videos too.

Advertisement