Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo S145 IdeaPad random crashing

Options
  • 08-09-2023 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some guidance

Laptop purchased 2020. Came with Windows 10 but automatically upgraded to Windows 11 some months ago.

About 10 days ago, I noticed that three small screws were missing from base so replaced same.

All fine until last week when the laptop has started to randomly freeze / crash. Screen goes black and unresponsive. When that happens I have to hold down power button to log off and then laptop will not boot up - no light on num lock / caps lock, no sound off fan.

If I wait about an hour it then boots up no problem and works fine until it crashes again - usually once a day.

ESET anti-virus up to date & have run scans - no issues.

All files backed up to external hard drives.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Am wondering if it’s connected to tightening the screws? Or is it a Windows 11 issue (and I should go back to 10)?

all suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Given that it does boot up again after a while, it suggests there may be overheating going on.

When you have to force it to shut down, does any part of the base feel very hot to the touch?

If so, then you should clean the fans and replace thermal paste of the processors. If you're handy enough, there is almost certainly a YouTube showing how to do this for your model laptop. If you're not comfortable stripping down a laptop, then find somebody who is.

Advertisement