Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearfell Timber Price Per Ton /Acre Query

Options
  • 07-09-2023 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just a question someone can hopefully answer, Do people that are clearfelling forestry get the prices per ton on the size of the timber i.e. so much for 4.9, 3.5 etc or do they go with so much per ton per acre regardless of the diameter of the timber?

We are considering clearfelling at the moment but from what we hear is that timber is at an all time low price and would be better off holding out, approx 5 acres of spruce, 5 acres of larch 28 years old, never thinned in north cork area

Also does anyone know what its making at the moment, a rough guideline would help make our decision, with alot of felling licences granted over the last few months timber is probably plentiful and hardware shops sales are down at the moment so that doesnt help with the value either.

Any advice would be apprieciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nick100

It sounds a bit young to be clearfelling, I would imagine that ideal age of clearfell if windblow isn't an issue would be 34-36yrs. Probably best to speak to a couple of professional foresters and possibly Teagasc forestry if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

If you want to be hands on with timber sales, sell it standing by the ton, do not ever sell a clearfell stand of timber by the acre.

When timber buyers are buying timber they will pay more depending on the risk to them involved. A price per ton is low risk to them so you end up getting more in your pocket, sell it per acre with higher risk and overall you will get less money than selling it per ton.

Regarding pricing, I'm waiting for prices to go back up for some clients of mine to start clearfelling, I'll be checking with in with some sawmills and local contractors around end of March or April as timber prices tend to go up for the summer months to encourage private forestry being harvested.

If that don't work, the timber will just wait til next year.

Advertisement