Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brace yourselves, Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are Divorcing

• 07-09-2023 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭

Don't even pretend like some of you people don't love celebrity gossip with that harry and meghan ****. My OH had my ear about this one, giving me the TLDR that they split over marital differences, and he's rushed to get his side of the story out in the tabloids, leak some allegations that he "caught her on a ring camera" (no other details of what he caught her up to have emerged afaik) and there has been some cynicism his PR team just put that out there to frustrate search algorithms for reports about Jonas wearing/not wearing his wedding ring. Apparently they jointly agreed as parents the kids weren't going to get papparazi'd, but after the news of the divorce broke he was out in 'razzi town with the nanny and the kids getting their photos taken. From what I'm told, Sophie was pressured by Joe Jonas to not go back to filming and have another child and take care of the kids so he could be on tour.

Reports became so dizzying that the pair broke their silence Wednesday, releasing a joint statement on the divorce: “There are many speculative narratives as to why but, truly this is a united decision and we sincerely hope that everyone can respect our wishes for privacy for us and our children.”

Such “speculative narratives” are an unfortunate side effect of how public obsession with celebrity manifests online. Multiple tabloids, including TMZ and the Daily Mail, cited anonymous sources to characterize Turner, 27, as a partygoer who felt trapped in her marriage and wanted to live out her youth. Meanwhile, Jonas, 34, was painted as a dutiful father, solely caring for their two young children even as his band, the Jonas Brothers, is on tour.

Turner and Jonas began dating in 2016 and married during a small Las Vegas ceremony after the Billboard Music Awards in May 2019. They share two daughters, born in July 2020 and July 2022, whom they have famously shielded from the public eye — a decision that Turner has had to justify to the public and implore her followers to respect, highlighting the outsize scrutiny moms face, Petersen said.

“It points to the need for her to defend her actions and to explain herself, and I’m not sure that would be the same for a man in that position,” she said. “It falls to mothers to justify their parenting identities and choices in a way that it doesn’t for fathers.”

Like Turner, other celebrity women have endured years of scrutiny and speculation about their love lives and parenting choices. An especially nasty narrative spread in the aftermath of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s divorce, with tabloids reporting as recently as last year that sources close to Pitt accused Jolie of launching a “smear campaign” against him with claims of physical abuse.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement