Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2024

Options
  • 07-09-2023 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All

My Son stopped going to school from March . Not sure why. Ended up doctor and is on medication for depression/anxiety.

He hasnt applied himself to school. aggressive, stays in bed, wont get up. last Christmas exams and reports were brutal dropped from all honors classes to pass and its the teachers fault of course, hid it all from us. He didnt even try and get work over summer. Now were back into September 1 year to go all the promises about leaving cert and wont go to school. No issue meeting the lads after their study and going to gym and pool so its not making sense to me at all. I am not handling it well and really am storing up a lot of anger inside. We are doing all for him but nothing back. My gut feel is to get him to leave school but i know if we force that that will be blamed on us forever. i feel he needs a dose of reality. we are totally lost. He could be rebelling for marital issues during covid but i dont know if thats the real issue. Depression runs in my other halves family and my daughter suffers too but i think she trys at least. Do we engage with the school? do we get sick notes, we dont really know what to do, as hes 18 now. ...sorry for this crazy note..but lost....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Overdehils

'We are doing all for him but nothing back'

Maybe start from there? A chat perhaps with him that you were willing to do all for him to help him through 6th year but now it's time for him to start fending for himself. From now on he does his own washing, cooking, cleaning. If he's not working where is he getting money for gym/pool? If you are the source, it's time to stop. He will have to start earning to fund his leisure activities.....the bank of mam/dad is closed!

Advertisement