Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket set for 2028 olympics.

Options
  • 07-09-2023 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

As per thread title it's looking like it'll get a spot in 2028. I wouldn't be a massive cricket fan. Watched in a bit when I lived in Oz and went to a few T20 matches and really enjoyed it. What are people thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Completely unnecessary but it might mean that India finally win an Olympics medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rpirl

Might help promote the faster / shorter formats of the sport

Golf and cricket always kinda stood out as two of the big sports to not be part of the Olympics... with both now included what else is left?

Snooker / pool etc.

American football ...

RTE actually just put up an article

Six-team T20 competition for men's and women's cricket

Flag football? never heard of that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s the modern notion of ‘inclusiveness’ where opportunity is having to be given to everyone and anyone….

nobody really gives a monkeys who are the current Olympic football champions… no real cricket fan will care who is the Olympic champion….it will resonate a little more maybe with players. “ I’m an Olympic champion “or “ i competed at the Olympics “

because the World Cups, European Championships, Copa America and various other competitions basically will always trump a tournament that such little tangible affiliation and affection with football & football people.

cricket already like football has a packed schedule…. Too packed….

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sekond

I'm presuming that it's really part of marketing/advertising to places like India rather than any strong desire to have cricket in the Olympics. That said, I've a teen who has just discovered cricket and is really enjoying playing and watching it, so she'll be delighted to have more opportunities to watch (and confound me with all the terminology!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd assume it's a decision to get India and to a lesser extent Pakistan and Bangladesh into the Olympics more as they all but particularly India have really poor Olympics records for countries of their size.

Wiki page for US national team suggests they might have qualified automatically but didn't see any source to confirm it

Anyhow it seems the best cricket ground they have happens to be in L.A. area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Magnus_Cricket_Complex

Advertisement