Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps with OCR for an office?

Options
  • 07-09-2023 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

So, I'm looking for document management software to smooth things out at work. The firm hired a handful of newbies before the start of this season, and we need a way to organize the files by relevancy, block access to some of them, and also "store" older versions of a doc, just in case someone tinkered with it by mistake. In short: I need an app that all team members will have access to even from their homes (so, cloud compatibility), and that will allow us to find a doc or a scanned file just by searching for particular a word or phrase they contain (optical character recognition) - and it will provide version control as well.

I'm not looking for a free app, I want an actual product that comes with a customer support option. Also, I'd prefer something built for Windows 10, the less time it'll take to fully integrate the system, the better. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

OpenText Content Cloud maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭galwayguy85

For something like this (I.e cloud accessibility, version control and the means to allow/deny access to individuals and departments), you’re probably going to need something relatively ‘in house’ such as Microsoft Azure/Active Directory/Microsoft 365

I’m not sure if there if there is any easy way of outsourcing this.

See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/syntex/ocr

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭galwayguy85

The other poster’s suggestion may also be equally valid and perhaps cheaper (I’ve just never used it)

For enterprise-level stuff, Microsoft and Amazon Web Services tend to dominate. All of these have a recurring fee (based on usage - storage space used, web traffic etc are the usual metrics).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Depending on the content and control required on it, you may need an on-prem solution with remote access (via VPN) rather than a cloud based offering. That's the first step to take, to make an assessment of the datasets for classification against the regulatory requirements, then decide on how you need to manage distribution, storage and retention.

As for recommended products, I've never worked with a system with OCR ingest, but there are hundreds of DMS's out there, you'd just need to refine down the list to what suits your business needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

I agree with the other recommendations here and yes, checking all items on that list of features will take some comparing... I interned at a law firm in the past and they always had a DMS tool installed on all office PCs, they treated it as a directory that arranged all new scans in order. It had OCR too, I remember being able to find a particular doc just by typing a client's name, or a name and a date, for instance... I don't recall the brand of that exact app, but here are a couple of listicles you can check - this one and this one - I think most of these products should work as I described and are worth considering for your case (at least for a free trial, and then you'll see which UI you're most comfortable with).

• Advertisement
Advertisement