Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT

Options
  • 06-09-2023 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a Learner Permit and I have a car. The car will have to go for NCT in the following months. I live in a small town and I need to drive accompanied to NCT around 35 km.

If I don't find anyone who might come with me, is there any other solution?

Do you think some taxi driver might accompany me in my car and I could pay him like he gave me a lift in his taxi?

Is there any other solution?

Thanks

Post edited by macplaxton on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You could hire a driving instructor to sit in with you either. Get a lesson out it too.

Your garage might bring it down for you.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could try contact car recovery companies and get a price from them to transport it there. Might not be cheap though but a taxi driver's time won't be cheap either given they have to hang around till after the test to come back with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If you know someone who will accompany you but the time is not suitable , you could drop it at NCT at a time that suits your driver. That morning , day before , whatever. They are usually accommodating especially if you’ve prepaid. Collect it when it suits ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MobileState

Thank you, I didn't know this.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the information.

If I make an appointment with NCT, could it be rescheduled? For example, if I make an appointment for September 28th and for some reason I see that I can't make it on that date, can I inform them and request a new date?

If a car fails on NCT, how many days do we have to fix everything and come back for another NCT exam?

I am relatively new in Ireland so I don't know many things.

You can reschedule up to 5 working days before test without penalty. Later than that and a fee gets added on to your next booking

28 days to fix any problems if it fails. There is a few for certain retests too.

Very good FAQ here - https://www.ncts.ie/1123/

Best of luck at the centre

It's good to know. Thank you very much. I will read frequently asked questions on the link that you posted here.

I would like to ask few more things about NCT.

My NCT will expire at the end of October 2023.

I have booked it and they gave me March 2024. There is an option to put myself on the priority list. It says on internet that they will try to give me a date within 28 days. What do they mean when they said that, do they mean that if I put myself now on the priority list today that they will give me a date for NCT to be done in the next 28 days or in the next 28 days they will suggest me some date for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Log in and reschedule it at about 11:20pm this evening. Cancellations are released around that time.

I had April 2024 booked and rescheduled it to Nov 2023 on Monday and then October 2023 last night.

• Advertisement

There’s big backlogs at the moment unfortunately. They’ll call you with a date sooner when they have it for you. It’s hard to say when it will be.

As newpost2 said, log in and schedule between 11:20 and 11:40pm and sooner dates should be available, it’s much quicker than waiting on them. You should get a date before your current cert expires.

So, do I need to put myself on the priority list or I need to log in occasionally to check if any new date appears?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Do both

Thank you for the answer.

I have checked the availabilities, nothing has changed.

When I put myself on the "priority list", what will happen? Are they going to offer me some date or they will give me a new date?

Advertisement