Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl 20% IRL but 30% discount on short dated items in the UK.

Options
  • 06-09-2023 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭

Why?

Was in the UK recently and noticed that their stores use 30% and 60% off stickers for short dated items. Ireland its 20%. Is the Irish market different or is the Irish customer so eager for a bargain that they think 20% is enough of an incentive to buy short dated stock?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

As long as all the food doesn't end up in the bin, then that's what i would consider the important thing. look i hate being ripped off as much as the next person but there is no sensible reason to think Lidl Ireland should be bound by business practice's in another jurisdiction with different laws, VAT rates, min wage etc?

And im sure you can imagine they will not be discounting any more than they have to! So if they sell a good % of the products with a 20% discount then why would they discount deeper? to answer your question Lidl clearly think it is enough of a discount.

Personally i dont have any issue with fruit, veg and brown bread etc, but id probably steer well clear of dairy and meat products that are short dated. 20% off mince thats turning colour wouldn't do it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It was 30% here too up until ~June

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To be fair to Lidl, I have seen in my local store on several occasions charity workers collecting pallet loads of nearly out of date stock which is given for free to be distributed to the less fortunate in the community.

The shop or charity workers never get any publicity for this very noble deed, maybe local management are allowed some discretion on how to deal with nearly out of date stock and if so I'd be all in favour of not getting any 20% or 30% off bargains and letting the food go to a worthy cause.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Same in Spain. 30% off their short dated stock.

Used to be the same here and I totally stopped buying it when it went from 30% to 20% off.

Who in their right mind thinks buying stuff that has to be consumed the next day, rather than within a week, is getting value for money. Even when I buy any perishables I always root around the back of the shelf for the freshest goods with the longest possible shelf life.

I'm sure a lot of the reduced stuff gets binned at home anyway or eaten after its expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I am in my right mind. I will walk into Lidl tomorrow lunchtime and pick up something nice for my tea. On xmas eve, in advance of the 2 day closure, I bought loads of reduced stuff and put it in the freezer I bought for that purpose, and I mean LOADS. Only getting to the end of it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement