Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproof 1930's party wall

Options
  • 06-09-2023 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

I came across https://soundstop.co.uk/pages/wall-soundproofing-solutions which offers a wide range of solutions with some adding thickness the size of a coke can! and wondering if its worth soundproofing my party wall downstairs on my living and dining room.

The living and dining room are joined together as the wall between them does not exist and i have two chimney breast situated in the middle of each room.

It is a semi detached 1930's house and the part i wanna sound proof is the party wall.

All the walls except the chimney breast. Or does the chimney breast needs to have sound proofing too?

This is so i can watch TV on my AV setup that has 5.1 surround sound speakers without disturbing neighbours .

FYI i can hear them speak, well mainly the husband as he does speak quite loud but can hear mumbling of his voice if its quiet in the room i am in.

Thoughts? Worth doing? My missus thinks its a waste of money especially thinking that i should also soundproof the chimney breast but the videos i have seen of people doing it, seems to indicate that they dont do that part.

Also, will i be able to still hang shelves etc on the party wall if its backed by a soundproof wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember looking into this years ago in a 1970s property I used to own and it just wasn't worth it. Even with the wall insulated (and losing a few cm of the room) you can still get sound transmitting loads of other ways.

With a 5.1 system you're going to have a subwoofer with vibrations traveling through the floor for example.

Is there a room perhaps not on the party wall that you could set it up instead?

Advertisement