Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you feel safe driving this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beefcake82

No NCAP rating ??? WTF

I wouldn't be caught inside one of those. if an employer gave me one for work i would refuse to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

17 of them for sale in done deal, 2022, 25000km for 17500 euro + vat. new price is 38k

Some green delivery company went bust, all bought from liquidator and for sale now.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Disturbing 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was thinking of buying one of them, spoke to guys selling them for leasing company, all sounded good, just looking at various reviews, which were all very good up until found this one; needless to say I won't be buying one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Is the NCAP even done on non-passenger vehicles? The only NCAPs I can find on vans are for passenger versions of the Vivaro, Traffic etc.

In any case, that Maxus e-Delivery looks like it is held together with chewing gum and promises, so I probably wouldn't go near one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No NCAP on vans - its not done. That video is a bit scare mongery to be honest. Ive driven these and theyre well put together. As a matter of fact if you had this and another van on a second ramp you`d see that these are well built and find issues with any van put beside it - I dont know what that lad in the video is on about - all I hear is "40 / 40 box section"

Leaf springs are grand. The chassis on them is no worse than your mainstream vans. Id have no problems driving one for an extended time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

It'd be fine so long as you don't.....

...wait, 38k for that thing. It isn't worth 10.

Anyway. Perflectly safe so long as you don't crash it. It seems incapable of going fast enough to wreck itself anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

An post have a fleet of these - Havent heard any bad things about them reliability wise and they arent a bad drive. And you can be sure f there was the slightest thing up with them the Unions would be out on strike.

Dont write them off based on a single ( really bad) youtube review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware many of these electric only vans have terrible range when heavily loaded and driven by typical delivery drivers. They are fine maybe for a shop that does local deliveries and wants low running costs. Not suitable for probably any sort of all day use or trades. 100km from home is probably realistic range.

For an post they have known fixed delivery routes so they can be sure they will cover the route. The route often does not leave towns etc. In other places with longer trips they keep the diesel vans.

• Advertisement

Yeah verified range on these is about 240km, van I'd be replacing averages about 150km daily.

Yeah, every other review I looked at were all very positive; but the rusting and flimsy looking build has put me off tbh.

5 year warranty, 8 years on the EV battery and 10 years anti- corrosion - same as any other major manufacturer.

Id still buy one.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is there a bolt missing at 26:42?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve driven Worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Goose81

Do you understand what he is saying when he mentions 40/40 box? Or are you asking why he is saying it...

I've never seen the under chassis of a van only cars but I would be very surprised if any major manufacturer van would look the same underneath.

I could literally build that chassis in my garden with my 200 quid welder, it looks absolutely shocking.

Maybe I'm wrong and all vans look like this, someone please confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

for comparison sake.

what you see in the back of the Deliver3 may not be the actual floor, it may just be covering the batteries, it does look sketchy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had one of these for a day. I thought it was great! Little did I know I was one step away from death!

I know exactly what he means by "40 40" box - Ive welded myself with it multiple times.

However if you think that entire chassis is made from 40 box youre mistaken.

The chassis on this is a ladder type chassis which is 2 longitudinal heavy bars (looks similar to 150 or 200 mm box in the videos) with narrower "40 40" box in between that builds up a support structure.. Its one of the oldest and best chassis to have in a goods vehicle and was and still is used by a lot of manufacturers.

Ladder chassis are one of the strongest chassis available and take a lot to deform in an accident as they distribute the load down the length of the chassis.

Thers also no way in hell you could mount shocks, etc on to 40 box steel and as you can see the equipment is mounted to the heavier side rails with lighter stuff mounted to the 40 box.

I call bullshit on this blokes video - its scare mongering . Ive driven these and worked on them and Id trust them all day long.If they were the death trap hes making it out to be they wouldnt be allowed to be sold in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Who is that guy and what is his expertise and qualifications. If the van is crash tested and performs ok, what's he going to do then. BTW Maxus passenger cars have been tested by EuroNCAP and have done well.

The van does look different underneath to others I've seen but that doesn't say much, I've no idea how it has been engineered in terms of load paths to dissipate the energy of a collision. Maybe the battery pack provides enough strength that the rest of the van's underside can be less substantial looking.

That video reminds me of "wise old man" syndrome - some guy looks at something and oohs and aaahs about danger this and that and they don't make 'em like they used to. Like how on this forum when the poster junkyard was trolling about Renault's safety, how the cars were weak in structural areas and never mind EuroNCAP,, he knew better because he tows and scraps cars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

See comments below video various people saying they own one and have none of the issues he identified.

Looks like a grand van for city based trade. I'd drive one tbh keep costs down and battles eventual city based emissions stuff that will no doubt come in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Not disagreeing with you (and tbh these days unless a YT video is sensationalied it get feck all hits) but wondering if you know what is the EU certification process/standard for light commercial vehicles? Presumably thier is one and these vans adhere to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This other review may shed some more light on the Chassis

https://youtu.be/8GvTXFFT7ro?t=386

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭jmreire

If most people saw a plane stripped down to the bare essentials, they'd never get into one either!! I'd drive it no problem. It has to have passed at the very least, minimum safety and design standards. Pretty basic, but it is what it is. If I bought one brand new, I'd put it up on a lift, and give the underbody a right good coating of an anti-rust sealant, followed by pumping more of the same into the cavities., should be good to go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Aren't all vans fairly dangerous for occupant safety compared to cars?

Advertisement