Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did wagos fail to take off in ireland

Options
  • 05-09-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Title really, there was lad picking up a couple of boxes at the wholesalers today when I was getting some new garden lights, and the lad at the counter was almost trying to downsell him some connector blocks. So just wondering are they popular or not here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I prefer them, excellent for testing as they don’t damage the probs. I imagined they are popular enough here. You can get other lever type connectors. Wago are just a brand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I keep forgetting they exist and using connector blocks for stuff that would be far easier to use wagos - also, some sales outlets are disgustingly expensive for them, used to get them in Eurosales who were OK normally. I do find they can take up more space which sometimes isn't there to lose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There's also a push-fit type of Wago connector as well as lever action. Some of the imitation versions of Wago are not of the same quality. I think they're handier than block connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I heard that too about the cheaper brands not as good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I use wago type push connectors at home to extend cabling within the back boxes of sockets. Especially when the original cabling was left too short. Excellent for a diyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are a great connector but they require the wago box aswell, its adds up and I find the boxes difficult to fit the connectors into.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I was roped into changing out old 50W halogen downlighters for LED GU10's for a friend. I replaced all of the strip connectors for Wagos. They are vastly superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Been switching over (DIY'r), talking to the REC I use, they've started to appear on some sites.

I don't trust the push in version yet, but that's a battle for me :)

Much better than wire nuts that they use in the states.

(I'd also be of the mind for not using connectors as much as possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Shoog

Screwfix has some good starter kits. Just used them for the first time and find them excellent. I don't think many professional electricians would be impressed if they looked at a bunch of connector blocks in a DIY job - they might slowly back out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't get us started on wire nuts. 🙄

The only thing with Wago is that they don't support stranded cables, which reminds me, I must invest in a bootlace crimper.

• Advertisement

Wire nuts were called Scruits here - awful things in my opinion. Nothing wrong with push-in Wago connectors, though I probably generally prefer lever action ones.

They need to be in an enclosure, though not necessarily a WagoBox. These are required for maintenance-free certification (with an added cable tie) under UK regulations only. Perhaps you were reading information from the UK pertaining to maintenance-free connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I think it's the push fit that doesn't take fine-stranded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well thanks for the info, I wonder was I confusing it the level-less types which didn't support stranded cable.

There's 2 types of stranded obviously

Advertisement