Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on Consumer Unit and Spurring

Options
  • 05-09-2023 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I am planning on adding an outdoor double socket to my garage directly behind an existing interior double socket.

From doing a bit of research before ordering parts I went to my Consumer Unit to check the presence of RCDs. I found these in the Consumer Unit (pic below 30mA DMA60) and whilst they don't specifically mention RCD as I expected to see, they do have a tester button which when I pressed it, cut off power to all devices in the garage. Would anyone know from visually looking at this picture if this is indeed serving as an RCD?

Secondly, the interior switch already has 2 sets of Live and Neutral (picture below) which I think means it is on a ring circuit. Is it safe to add a third set of wires to spur off to the outdoor socket? Or would I be better to wire a standard plug on the interior end and just plug it into the existing interior socket?

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and provide a response.

Post edited by Gboyd on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The device photographed in your consumer unit is an RCBO - this is an RCD and MCB combined which is fine.

It could be a ring or radial circuit, but either way a spur to the planned outdoor socket should be fine. Cable size should be 2.5mm2, be sure an firmly tighten connections and make sure all three cables are securely connected before closing it back up.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

Hi Lenar,

Thank you very much for your response, this has been of great help and allows me to proceed with the job.

Thanks again!

Advertisement