Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Question

Options
  • 05-09-2023 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, My niece and her friends are looking for a house at the moment and have been offered a 4 bedroom house in Ballybrit through a work contact, they are all working around parkmore.

The house is fairly decent but I can't believe the rent price. It's 3 decent sized double rooms, one with an ensuite, and 1 other smaller double room. They are looking for €2800 per month for the whole house. Is that a crazy price? I think so but my niece is not suprised at all. The house is located in Racecourse Gardens.

There are no houses advertised around there so I can't compare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems ok to me, 700 each if split in 4. Sure where would you be going. It's on the 401 bus route also which is good and has Dunnes and pharmacy down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Escapees

Seems crazy to me, if you compare the rent to general listings on daft etc. However, it's the convenience factor of them all being able to be under the one roof and also not having to go through a vetting process and compete for the house that needs to be considered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I know it's comparing apples with oranges, but in 2007, I was renting a 4 bedroom house in Harold's Cross in Dublin, and it was costing €2400

These were tiny double rooms, no ensuites.

Obviously it's Dublin prices vs Galway prices, and Harolds Cross is about a 2km walk to Stephen's Green, where as Racecourse Gardens is a 4.5km walk to Eyre Square

Being honest, I'd say it's not too crazy a price. Also, there's a lot of relief to get a house sorted. Only need to stay a year, and can look for something that better suits their needs next year, when they have more time to put effort into it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Thanks for the replies. Some mixed responses there. The weekly breakdown of the rooms would be €200 for the double ensuite, €175 each for the 2 decent size doubles and €150 for the smaller double. So ya €700 per week but I would have thought that was high.

Does anyone have have anything to compare it to in that area, Ballybrit to Roscam side?

Sounds like a lot when you consider the area, the price is up there with city centre rents. The houses there are nice and it will be handy for work but you are sandwiched between two areas where there is a lot of antisocial behavior.

• Advertisement

As mentioned already, daft should have plenty of places listed for comparison, as does the usual Facebook page for renting rooms in Galway... Also, I am sure friends of your niece and her friends will likely also be able to provide feedback here.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

I can't find anything in Ballybrit for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Doughiska/Ballybane are in this area (try also Roscam)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

It's peak rent pressure now with students returning so unfortunately that silly price is not surprising.

Sandwiched between two areas with a lot of antisocial behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Mad price. That covers my Mortgage for 4 months

Just ask the owners of Bethlehem restaurant how much trouble they've had with antisocial behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would not consider them antisocial behavior areas.

@OP - I checked the notice board here at work and its just people looking for places. No Offers. Not the news you wanted to here but look like they are scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you having a laugh?

Or are you genuinely unaware of the shortage of rental properties currently?

Mustn't be aware of the ongoing issues in Castle Park or Doughiska.

A couple of places in Doughiska only, from what I know. And Castlepark is nowhere near as bad as it was years ago. The former Hillside area and down around the Gala shop is certainly unpleasant. Either way, none of those areas would have any particular spillover into a completely unrelated small estate on one of the roads between them.

No, I was not having a laugh. Of course I'm aware of the shortage of rental properties. However, the reality is that there are still rental properties becoming available in Galway city on a daily basis. I know this for a fact as I have an old Daft email alert set up and receive notifications daily. In the last 7 days alone, I have received 15 email notifications (the last of which I'll try to attach a screenshot of below). And note that there are filters applied to these notifications, such as the rent needing to be <2k per month etc. (i.e. they are selective and do not include all rental properties that become available).

A garda I know thinks differently he is up there the whole time dealing with disputes or antisocial feral kids, two fairly serious recient events in Castle Park linked above.

There is a mix of good and bad in the area but the bad are some worst Galway has to offer, unfortunately a lot of the issues in the area has to do with the drug trade.

Yup known issues with a particular drug gang feud, Limerick involved too I believe. But none of that has anything to do with Racecourse Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It seems like crazy money on the face of it (and it is)

Essentially if you are to stick to the 3 people in the house, you are talking 700 quid a month on the outskirts of Galway, granted near a fairly substantial employment centre with plenty bus options (which are two very good benefits particularily the first one with the way traffic is in the city)

However you are talking €8400 odd a year for each person in the house. Thats roughly (depending on a few variables) €12000 you need to earn gross just to pay rent. There's obviously elect, BB, Heating,Bins etc to split in three as well.

I know the above is obvious but it gives some context.

In relation to the relative price, I have seen some three beds over the past few months a few miles further out from the city looking for 2400-2600 - I don't know whether they got that but I can only assume in a market where there are very few options that they did.

As I said in my inital post Racecourse Gardens is sandwiched between two areas known for antisocial behaviour. The antisocial behaviour has been know to spread into the surrounding areas on occasion including Racecourse Gardens. The rent is excessive for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

Rent is excessive everywhere at the moment. It'll rent at that price.

Meh, "has been known to", "on occasion". Not as if there's regular gang warfare taking place on the roads between both areas.

Exactly Meh, antisocial behaviour does equal gang warfare thats a bit of sensationalism right there. We are just derailing the thread from the OPs original query. It's clear you have a limited knowledge of the area and this could go on forever im going to bow out now as i have better things to be doing.

Well yes you derailed the thread by stating there is antisocial behaviour present in Racecourse Gardens stemming from Castle Park and Doughiska. As someone who lives nearby and would pass Racecourse Gardens frequently enough I'm unaware of it. Also no issues with anti social Castle Park-ians in our area either.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I was reminded since reading this thread that the residential area on the back road Briarhill More must be either open or imminent.

I wondered if anybody had been able to move in there with their own vehicle. People were commenting on it looking like there had been no consideration of residents having cars while it was being built.

Think it's almost in the vicinity of the original posters potential location and likely to be attracting similar renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Advertisement