Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf ID GTI concept

Options
  • 04-09-2023 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭

Looking great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

FWD 😕

Otherwise it looks fantastic, it's effectively the ID.2 concept reskinned, which is perfectly fine by me

I like how VW seem to be showcasing concepts which they're actually going to try and make into a production vehicle, albeit not always successfully (I.D. Life)

On the other hand, I don't like this anti-EV styling binge they're on at the moment. They're saying they want the next generation of EVs to look like traditional VW cars and not futuristic concepts

I actually like the way the ID cars look today, they aren't going to win any beauty contests but I'd take an ID.4 over a Tiguan or T-Roc any day

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Do GTI work for EV. Without the engine noise, gear changes etc you lose the whole experience

idk maybe it’s just me. But I’ve. I real interest in it.

It's just a badge at the end of the day 🤷‍♂️

Maybe they'll implement that fake gear change system Toyota were showing off a while back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

FWD is one of the downfalls.

Looks great.

If VW can get the build quality right and the software right it could be a great car.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at a price…..I’m gona go out now and say minimum of €60k.

At that price it won’t sell much.

What's the problem with FWD? All petrol GTis are FWD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Golf has always been FWD, that was never really a problem for the Golf, and most generations are considered good drivers's cars.

I also like the styling of their current EV cars, particularly the ID.4 is quite good looking, beating most of the competition, imho. But you got to remember VW caters to conservative buyers, can't go too far with the designs.

Nothing wrong with it as such, but FWD EVs tend to get a lot of torque steer and don't have the same advantages as a FWD ICE

Some more info here

Looks like VW are going to add fake engine noises and gear shifts to emulate the GTi experience

Each to their own I guess, one of the reasons I like EVs is not having to deal with that nonsense

I'd say it'll be a setting you can turn off, probably be a comfort mode without the gear shifts

With EV torque it’s a nightmare. Even a 110bhp leaf spins all day long 😂

Agree. Fake noises like the Merc and bmw is so pretentious.

Ah yes indeed, as I found out the other day driving a Cupra Born in the grass.

• Advertisement

@the_amazing_raisin - "Looks like VW are going to add fake engine noises and gear shifts to emulate the GTi experience"

Ah FFS not another one. Test drove the BMW i4 M50 recently and while a glorious car, those fake Hans Zimmer sounds were beyond ridiculous. Embarrassing really. Told the BMW genious - yes that's what they call them now 🙄 - to switch that off immediately.

Current GTi starts at €55k, so I'm thinking you're (unfortunately) right with that guess

It's based on the ID.2 which is supposed to be starting from €25k in Germany (that'll be €30k here at least I'd say) so there's an argument it should be cheaper

But it's designed as a niche model and will be priced as such

@the_amazing_raisin - "Current GTi starts at €55k"

That's insane. What fool would pay that much for a middle of the road hot hatch that isn't very fast? I remember when the mk5 GTI came out, it was €35k. Almost twice the price of a well specced base engine Skoda Octavia at the time. Even then that was pricey enough. And then you have to pay for the fuel too of course. I put €50 of petrol into my car at the weekend, filled it up a bit more than half. Whereas both my EVs have been running purely on the sun from my solar panels for nearly 4 months now. Both will be fully charged by the end of today.

You think it's bad now, wait for the after market versions so the young drivers of tomorrow can trick out their EVs with all manner of "upgrades"

Picture a Gen 1 Leaf with a lowering kit, big spoiler, led lights all over the interior, fake racing stickers and an exhaust kit to top it off 🤮

Maybe someone will figure out how to add a smoke generator with that unburnt petrol smell as well 😂

I'm convinced that VW Ireland got tired of selling cars so they set the price really high to avoid selling as many cars

I think there's also an awareness that the only people who care about a GTi badge these days are at the stage in life where they can afford to spend €50k+ on a hot hatch

VW's gone from the youth brand to the mid life crisis brand 🤣

Needs a bigger spoiler and some stripes down the middle 😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's the theory, but again they aren't exactly priced so younger people can afford them

We'll see how the Raval or Rebel or whatever it's called plays out

Gotta say, the interior renders look very cool and 100% realistic 😂

One big advantage of being based on the ID.2, buttons

Real life buttons, they might even make a tactile click when you press them 😁

The sports seats look awesome, hopefully there's an ID.2 spec with them at a slightly more realistic price

Not so convinced about the full screen HUD. The one on the current ID cars is brilliant but has one fatal flaw; polarised sunglasses block it out, mostly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Just a reminder that Porsche sell a "Turbo" EV.

It is pretty turbo in fairness 😁

Apparently the I in the EV GTi stands for "intelligence"

Which itself was short for intelligence in car design

So the whole thing stands for "Grand Touring intelligence in car design"

Maybe it sounds better in German 😂

Advertisement