Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bear Group Pre Season CX 2023

Options
  • 03-09-2023 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this race, is it just a flat course around the track on corkagh park or a proper course in the park somewhere ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I'm actually wondering what day it's on. Cycling ireland website says Wednesday 6th but ticket says Thursday the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

There's a strava link on the eventmaster booking page: https://www.strava.com/routes/3131340673346774592. Part of the route seems to be outside the race track fence, is there a gap in the fence somewhere or is hopping over it part of the course?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hey everyone, fist of all, to temper enthusiasm, the senior race is sold out, there is still space available in the youth race. The race is as @tawfeeredux has linked too. It goes in and out the main gate, divided by a barrier and runs up the dirt mound at the south East of the park with a back and forth to scrub speed, over two mounds, a loop around and back through it before an open field back to the finish.

Lap is 3.2km for the Senior race and about 2.4km for the youth race.

It is every Thursday evening in Corkagh (although we are in negotiations with another park for the last night but this is still not confirmed). 6:30pm for the youth race and 7:00pm for the Senior race.

Specialized Ireland will be there before the first race to offer free bike checks, and also provide prizes.

The main sponsor is the Bear Group who are devoting a lot of man power on Thursday afternoons to get the course set up and taken down.

This is effectively a club league, it will not have water, washers, food vans or MCs.

It will have a leg sapping course to get you warmed up for the long season of CX ahead.

Any questions fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Personally i dont like these types of courses, its a just a power house course no skill really needed.

anyway booked out, which is great hope there's a great turn out this year for cross lots of new faces who seen how good it is when they came to watch the uci cx in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'd imagine finding suitable venues is a difficulty - we're not exactly surrounded by people who love cyclists in this country. But as you say, the sport seems to be gaining in popularity and hopefully this is a stepping stone to broadening the variety of venues/ local authorities that get on board. Delighted to see the organisers put this one out there - course notwithstanding it looks like it should be a well run event.

• Advertisement

There will be boards, turnabouts and some technical bits so its not solely a powerhouse type course when dry, in the wet though, it will be a slog in parts. We are hoping to engage with CI and Leinster about getting more features added to Corkagh for future races, mounds etc. We had hoped to use the forest and northern field but to say that responses from the powers that be were not quick or forthcoming.

That would be great, all that would have to be done is move dirt into mounds

But last years race in the park was just full gas all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Presume for back-of-the-pack artists like myself, the Polizei won't be too strict on tyres... I still have 35mm gravel tyres on the bike and realistically won't have time to switch out (tubeless) by Thursday?

Was only the clonmel race they measured tires

Is the senior race just for this Thursday sold out? I can't do this week in any case but looked at next week on CI and it comes up as sold out also.

• Advertisement

Nope, it's a club league race, so long as you aren't taking the piss you will be fine.

It was €20 for the four races, so there are no more entries for the senior race, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 breadevery

Raging I missed this, would've loved to give it a go since it's just down the road!

I'd like to try out some other cx races this winter, and I'm wondering if ye know, is a competition licence required to enter, or is are events generally open to someone with a leisure licence?

And if a competition licence is needed, would anyone know if I can upgrade from a leisure license competition licence with CI, or would I need to pay full whack for a new competition one? (If so, I'll hold off till January!)

Ah balls…

Can you not ad another category for old farts like me. Too senior for senior 😁

You can upgrade. Limited competition will do you as it’s not open road. Think it’ll be about 40-50 to upgrade. Open to correction on the price mind

I done two practice laps against some club mates the other night and decided to go full time organiser 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 41 breadevery

Thanks, found where to upgrade on CI's website. It costs...€126 to upgrade from Leisure to Limited Competition, which is the same price as just buying an LC license outright 🤔 Think I'll see if I have any luck by emailing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Am signed up for the adult and looking forward to it. I'd like to sign up my daughter to give it a go (age 7) - could you tell me how it would work licence-wise what she'd need please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Its a shame its sold out, hadnt heard about it until reading this thread today. Would have saved me having to drive up to Louth to try out CX for the first time. Does any one know of any other events like this around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Greenmount in limerick, sliabh luachra cc and a few more have their own course for training and some races it would be great to note anymore in this thread, there is currently a mtb/cx track being developed in clare but will be next year before it's fully complete.

All she needs is a CI license for U8 so that would be 10euro and then just sign up online, I'll send you details via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Entry secure, I just need an engine for the bike now to keep up with the roadie converts 😉

Hope everyone enjoyed tonight, I certainly enjoyed watching rather than racing 🤣

I loved it and thought it was great craic! Had never cycled on grass or similar before tonight so a whole new experience. Look forward to next week

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

Great event last night.. a good course to train on.. not too tough. Hot night for it. Good atmosphere and craic/chats etc. thanks to the organisers for their time in setting up and taking down everything. A lot of work. Will try to stay back each week to offer help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Where are the results please,any link? We all had a chip so I presume someone has the lap times etc.Thanks

I will post the provisional results in a minute, the lap times are taking a bit longer to sort as our tech guy is away on holiday but I am assured they are stored on the decoder.

Here is a Strava segment for you to check lap times roughly in a hurry: https://www.strava.com/segments/35379004

• Advertisement

Provisional draft. The lap times will be closer to next week as they are stuck on the decoder for the moment and I don't have access to it. This was done the old school way.

Advertisement