Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard thickness 9.5mm or 12.5mm

Options
  • 03-09-2023 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭

Hi,

From what I can understand, plasterboard thickness is usually 12.5mm and sometimes 9.5mm.

Most people prefer 12.5mm as it is more rigid. I am just wondering if you are using warmboard, something like 9.5mm with 20mm rigid insulation, does this argument apply?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,296 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would only ever use 9mm on ceilings, due to weight.

12.5mm every time of walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you ever intend to hang something substantial on the wall then 12.5mm is the one which will hold the weight and resist damage from loading.

Plasterboard is just weak so you need to plan for fixing strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

9mm is really flimsy. Walls with it feel so weak for the occupant. Its less durable and there is more sound transmission. In offices they are often using two sheets of 12.5mm. But if you had warm board, the PIR has a lot of body so the warmboard 9mm isn't as flimsy. It is fine for reveals in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Exactly. It can be a compromise as long as the stud wall is secure and plumb, otherwise it looks shoddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

If the 9.5mm board is part of a composite material - insulated plasterboard, etc, - it performs differently than just a single 9.5mm board. However, you will need to check manufacturer's literature if fire, sound, etc. are critical issues depending on location.

You will, as mentioned above, also need to consider fixings - but most plasterboards are not capable of bearing any substantial weight even with special fixings - if you can plan these in advance you can put in 'grounds' to support any fixtures and fittings you are planning.

F

Advertisement