Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan Air B and B options

Options
  • 03-09-2023 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all

Let's just say I've an English reg campervan, decent big model.

It's only used a few weeks of the year and parked securely behind big gate at side of my house.

Is there anything stopping me from me advertising the campervan as an Air b and b for 2 or 4 people at the house and make some money from it?

I'm guessing I'd need to have insurance etc etc but is it an option and an opportunity??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you near anything that people will want to sleep in camper in some ones yard vs a hotel or proper AirBnB

If you are using the camper for residential purposes then it needs planning permission.

Revenue might also be interested in your unregistered vehicle and they have more powers of entry than the Gardaí. AirBnB send all hosts details to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I live within walking distance of small village with few pubs, shops etc.

There is a nice enclosed garden and seating area outside.

I don't actually have the campetcab here in Ireland, my brother is in London and has it there and doesn't use it, I'm insured on it and have used it a few times..

It won't be a fixed structure at all. Accommodation seems tight in the area and I know i could pick up a few bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: You would need to import it officially and pay the duties and taxes from UK, which will be serious as there in no book of agreed values, its what ever they think its worth, and they add 23% VAT, and maybe 10% customs before that depending on the original origin and as noted above Revenue have serious powers of entry/seizure

Invoice price is irrelevant for camper vans.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/importing-vehicle-from-gb.aspx

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for the reply Calahonda.

Why do I need to register it to Irish plates, I know ideally I should but do I really have to???

Campervan is in my brothers name and registered to his UK address, it's fully insured. Campervan would not be driven by guests etc, just a bed to sleep in.

It's hidden from public view and would only be visible to those staying over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How will you MOT it? Will the UK policy cover it when it's permanently exported to an EU country.

You still run into the planning permission issue. It's the use, residential, that you need planning permission for what it is or isn't connected to doesn't matter. AirBnB report all hosts to revenue and you'll be taxed at your marginal rate, will a few bookings be worth it? A small village with a few pubs doesn't sound like a place that a lot of people visit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Re the insurance: the kept at address will be different that the registered address and depending on the policy, there is a max 30 day out of the country rule.

Then how would you insure it from a PL perspective if its not yours and certainly wont be covered by your own house insurance if there is a claim.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for the comments.

Does seem like a bit of a minefield of headaches alright.

Van would be over and back to UK at least 1 a year so could maintain the MOT that way..

Might be better just to rent out a log cabin or something on the same land..

I

Advertisement