Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managers victimising random people in order to get promotion?

Options
  • 03-09-2023 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I'm wondering how or not this sort of thing is, and if people have had first hand experience of it.

Lately there's a guy in my company has told me that a certain department (AVL) is very malicious. He said that they're all eager to climb the ladder and that they do it by "hanging" base level employees. At first I was willing to listen to him, but the few times that I've bumped into him since, he keeps singing the same song, and also seems very negative. For example I mentioned one name of another guy in that department - who seems okay - and the first thing he said was "he's thick, that's why they gave him the job, because he'll do what he's told".

His main contention is that a new guy in that office fabricated an entire story and he got called up about it. The guy who fabricated the story wasn't present during the interrogation. He said "I can prove to you 10 reasons why this never happened", which he did and management just took their notes and said "okay we'll wrap it up there" leaving him completely puzzled. He asked the union rep "what the hell was all that about?" and the union rep answered "that's just how they do things".

It reminds me of that scene in 'The Wolf of Wall Street' where some investigator tries to fool DiCaprio by saying "sorry but this case got landed on my desk by a higher-up who needs to make a show that he's tough enough to look into this new company". In thinking about people who believe that this sort of thing goes on, is it realistic that a middle manager (police man in the case of the movie) would literally have no suspicion about anything else, that they'd pick random person/company in order to make themselves look good, without expecting it to back fire?

Aren't there other ways to demonstrate that you're a good worker, than just pulling up some random worker to try and crucify? If I were the top manager I'd be more impressed with the person who can explain why they're doing what they're doing, than the guy who's making a show. Granted, there are a lot of managers who need to justify their unnecessary positions, and a lot inefficient corporate management styles. I've no doubt that there can be stupidity at the top sometimes, and that the guys below will succeed in pulling the wool over their eyes. But when I hear the likes of this it makes me more suspicious of the person telling it.

Thank you

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Bad managers are always quick to criticise their teams when in fact it is a reflection of them that they cannot direct or motivate the team. A blame culture can then develop at all levels.

Cannot say whether it is happening here but, I have witnessed it - best to do is find another department or company to work for - life is too short and you should derive some enjoyment or at least not 'dread' work, spend a lot of time with these colleagues...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That sounds as if it is all men there. Get some women in, and everything will run smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,036 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some managers like to create conflict in order to market themselves to their managers as a kind of problem solver / conflict resolver / problem fireman……

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Work & Jobs where it is probably more suited.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

Advertisement