Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 Volkswagen Passat High Mileage Oil Leak.

Options
  • 02-09-2023 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi lads, I have a 2019 Volkswagen Passat SE Business 2.0 TDI 150 DSG with just under 273,000km that I plan on keeping until it writes itself off, and it has sprung an oil leak from the bottom of the engine, near the oil filter housing. Any ideas? Could this be a very expensive repair?

Also, the car has full Volkswagen service history and was serviced on the 30000km interval until 190000km and then the 15k interval since.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 idiot4

The car has never had an issue before, neither has my other 2019 Passat with the 2.0 TDI 190 on 164k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

I had a 161 1.6 TDI Leon with an oil leak - ended up being crankcase cover. Quite a dear repair ~ circa €500

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

The combined oil filter housing / oil cooler is known to fail and leak on b7 Passat so maybe same issue. If it’s that then it’s straight forward repair and not very expensive. Did car start leaking out of blue or after a service? Sometimes the act of changing filter is what tips them over the edge. They fail where plastic body mates to engine block.

Post edited by Needles73 on

It's had about 15 oil changes now, so i wouldn't be surprised. It only started leaking shortly before its last VW service 6k ago in June. It's lost just under half its oil now.

Look, I wouldn't mind paying that much. I bought a high mileage car for far cheaper than a low mileage one so I'm prepared for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Find a vw indi mech. Your just unlucky. That sort of issue wouldnt be linked to milege. As someone says its a known issue.

Will do. To be fair to it I've done 55k in the past year and it never gave an ounce of trouble. Same for the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Silly question but have you had a good look around the engine fro top of engine , around breather hoses that leak out oil vapours and a simple oil light switch weeping. Front of crankshaft seal wet if timing belt engine as plastic covers will show signs . Rear crankshaft is gearbox out job and new clutch.

Yes I have. It's coming from the oil filter housing area. DSG clutch, mother of chrisht that'd be expensive. Praying it's not the rear crankshaft seal.

Timing belt all looks grand anyway.

Changed the brake pads on the front myself today and noticed oil sitting on the engine tray, on the drivers side of the tray and not the passenger side. Hopefully that's a good thing.

Advertisement