Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Replacement for Vodafone Gigabox - Which Router Do You Recommend?

Options
  • 02-09-2023 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm browsing the forum and searching for a router that will replace my Vodafone Gigabox.

I have FFTH (Siro) with speeds of up to 500Mb, and I was considering the budget-friendly TP-LINK Archer AX73 or ASUS DSL-AC88U (someone on the forum has been using it).

My network setup looks somewhat like this, along with several smartphones.

Can anyone recommend a router that won't limit the speed and works seamlessly with Vodafone (instead of the Gigabox)?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 einstein88

Better late than never.

Last November I got Vodafone FTTH 500/50, which came with that crappy Gigabox.

This was immediately replaced with an Asus RT-AX86U (rated AX5700), bought used on eBay for €150.

Upstairs I have an older Asus RT-AC68U set-up as a repeater, with a printer connected to it via USB.

Couldn't be happier!

If you get one (or similar), these are the (Asus) settings for installation and the best speed:

Advanced Settings: WAN

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE

Username: serialnumber@vfieftth.ie  (S/N from the Vodafone Gigabox)

Password: broadband

Enable VPN + DHCP Connection: Yes

MAC Address: click on “MAC Clone”

Advanced Settings: LAN / IPTV tab

Select ISP Profile: Manual setting

Internet: VID 10 PRIO 0 (this is the “VLAN 10” setting)

Use DHCP routes: RF3442 & Microsoft

Enable multicast: Enable

Default IGMP version: IGMP 3

Make sure to click 'Save' or 'Apply' on each router-page.

And the 'old' Gigabox is now on a shelf, gathering dust, YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm currently using a RT-AX88U as my main router with a RT-AC86U as a repeater in an outbuilding.

Both running Merlin-WRT and both rock solid apart from me😁

I'm a fan of Asus routers as I've had at least 1 running for the last 8yrs. I know the foibles and it's that sense of comfort that keeps buying.

My home setup average around 35 devices including a couple of VPNs & a few devices using a DNS director. Everything just works and the RT-AX88U has the added grunt to run ad-blocking via Diversion.

I picked up my AX88 on sale via Amazon.de a few years ago for €150 and it was money well spent IMO.

Advertisement