Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeslough explosion

Options
  • 02-09-2023 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Was it ever discovered what caused this? Surely the authorities are still not investigating it? It's almost a year since it happened but as far as I know nothing has been made public on this. The media seem to have forgotten about it. I don't want any crazy theories and don't want to cause any trouble for moderators but am genuinely curious about it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Det Norske Veritas, a global consultancy that advises on risk, safety and assurance, has yet to complete a report into the tragedy. Its panel of experts are still trying to identify the issues that contributed to the building’s collapse and subsequent loss of life. They have advised gardai that multiple factors may have contributed to the mass fatality.

The investigation itself has morphed into one of the biggest and most complex inquiries undertaken by the gardai in recent times. It may yet result in a public inquiry as relatives of the ten people, among them young children, and those injured, seek answers as to what happened, according to multiple sources.

“Ten people are dead and no one has been held responsible as yet. People are asking questions. The explosion was caused by a gas leak but it’s proving impossible to confirm what caused it,” said the security source. Most of the relatives and victims have retained legal representation in advance of the investigation’s conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don’t have much to add, OP, other than to say I often think the same as you and wonder about this horrible tragedy regularly. Good to read that update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 urbnjgl

After two years (we’re getting there) they could simply name anyone who owned any part of the property whether they are responsible or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They questioned 2 tradesmen a couple of weeks ago.

So I'd say its pointing to shortcuts being made on some sort of gas install maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes 2 men were arrested

The explosion occurred at an apartment block and a nearby Applegreen service station in the Donegal town at at 3.20pm October 7, 2022.

An investigation into the explosion, involving local gardaí in Donegal Division, supported by the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (GNBCI), the Health & Safety Authority (HSA), and the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU), and other agencies is ongoing. 

The probe has seen gGardaí open more than one 1,000 lines of enquiry to date, and collect hundreds of statements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement