Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Graphics Card for my home computer

Options
  • 02-09-2023 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I am a very occasional gamer, and what I tend to do is buy a game that's a few years old every now and then. So I have never needed the latest specs on my PC, which 90% of the time is used for browsing. My PC is a HP 290 G2 MT, with an i5-8500, 16GB DDR4 Ram, an M.2 Drive and onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630, running 64Bit Windows 11.

However, I am thinking of giving No Man's Sky a go. As it happens, the UHD 630 is listed in its min. spec., but I was thinking of maybe buying a separate Graphics Card to improve that aspect of the game (and any other games I eventually get).

I used to be fairly up to date with all this tech, but aren't really any more. I'm most definitely not looking for cutting edge here, so can anyone recommend a couple of graphics cards that will work with my PC, will improve over the UHD 630, and won't cost a bomb? Am happy to buy it new or secondhand.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Had a quick look at the service manuals & a disassembly video

First thing you need to confirm is if your computer has a 180W or 310W power supply installed.

If 180W, the best GPU you can get is a GTX 1650 4GB (160eur - Amazon) that does NOT need an external power connector. Or slightly cheaper (and worse performance) there is the RX 6400 4GB (120eur - Amazon)

If you're lucky and have 310W PSU, you should buy an RTX 3050 (220eur on Amazon), assuming there is an 8-pin PCIe power connector present (looks like this:

This would also be a good time to confirm if you have 1 or 2 memory (RAM) sticks installed. You want to have a matching pair to avail of dual-channel memory for best game performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply, I appreciate it!

I've checked, and it's a 180W PSU, so that means the GTX 1650 4GB or the RX 6400 4GB. Here's a pic of the PCI slot, I assume either would fit?

I have checked and it's 2 8GB DIMMs with the same spec, so I should have the dual channel memory.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My suggestion is for the RX 6400.

It's cheaper (+ ships from AmazonUK) and uses less power (50W on average vs 75-86W).

Admittedly, it is slower than the GTX 1650, but not by enough to offset the 40eur price difference; and it's safer to use less power with the 180W PSU.

----

It should fit since the longer slot is a standard PCI-Express x16 slot; and the MT case uses regular-height PCI brackets.

More good advice, thanks! While the RX 6400 might be slower than the GTX 1650, it's still going to be a lot faster than the UHD 630!

CEX actually have a GTX 1650 for €120, so that's tempting, but I'll look into the best price I can find for the RX 6400...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was going to say if I were you I would just get a 2nd hand GTX1650. At €120 it's fairly good value considered CEX offer a warranty, but have to keep in mind the latest games aren't going to run very well - and something like Starfield would be unplayable.

For No Man's Sky though, it would be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I have no plans to plan brand new games, I tend to occasionally pick up an older game, like No Man's Sky. I've actually been playing it for a week now with the built-in UHD Graphics 630. Clearly, it doesn't look its best, but it is an interesting game.

Unfortunately the 2nd hand GTX1650 in CEX near my work is gone, and the only other one they have is miles away. I tried sending them an email to see if it is the version that doesn't need an external power connector, but I've had no reply. I'll have to see if I can arrange a visit to them sometime to actually look at it!

Just a quick update on this, I found the GTX 1650 in a different CEX and bought it, and it's working fine in my PC and No Man's Sky is playing well. Thanks to @K.O.Kiki and @Homelander for your help, much appreciated!

Advertisement