Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light coming through bottom of door

Options
  • 01-09-2023 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday evening I was coming down the stairs and I noticed a narrow beam of light coming from the bottom of the (Munster Joinery) wooden front door about 10cm in from the hinges. I took a straw and poked it through and discovered a small square hole in the metal rail the door closes into. If light gets through then so does cold. In 10+ years I've never noticed this hole but I always place a draught excluder at the bottom of the door in winter as I know the cold comes in through the door.

Is this hole a ventilation requirement or can I close it with chemical metal, or even duct tape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Without seeing a pic it could well be your weather bar which is like a small metal trough with a channel where rain can run off the door into. You would then have a couple of drip or exit holes in this to allow the gathered water to run out of and away from the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Could be that I guess. I was just shocked that I'd never noticed it before. Will opt for a stick on draught excluder instead. Thanks!

Advertisement