Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian sandstone grout failed..how to fix

Options
  • 01-09-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

We had an indian sandstone patio put in the garden 2 years ago with rompox used for the joints. In some areas (most) the rompox is solid, in others it's sunk in and crumbled. Can I just add sand used pointing to fill in these on top of rompox, or remove what is loose and add rompox or something similar...jointit for example which seems more widely available than rompox? It's not everywhere, and don't think I'd use a full container of a jointit or rompox....

Post edited by luckycat007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, You'd be best of trying to work out why it has failed firstly. Were the sandstone slabs properly bedded in cement and if so, does it appear that they remain secure, or do you see shifting at all, or any loose slabs, or could it be that it was installed on an excessively wet or hot day?

If you were to replace the broken sections then I would be removing what I could first, and then taking my time to apply it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

The slabs were bedded with what I'd say were 4-6 blobs of cement that don't cover the full surface of each. It was super hot for weeks when installed, not moist, all grass was removed and a layer of stone/shale (maybe 1-3") was put down followed by a plate compactor. If I were to have it done over again I'd hire someone else tbh, as I think we should have had a thicker substrate.

Most slabs aren't moving, and grout looks good. I'm not looking for a permanent multi-year fix, and don't mind patching the grout where it's failing - leaning towards chipping out failed grout and putting in JointIt (can't seem to find rompox), but I def. won't be using a full container of a grout compound so looking for a less expensive alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hmm, ok. So if you remove the grout are you left with gaps in some ares down to the crushed and compacted stone? If so, I'd be considering filling these in with a dry-mix of sand and cement to try backfill the gaps, then put the grout on top of this to close off the gaps. As for grout, you sometimes find left-over containers on the second-hand market from jobs where it was over-spec'd, that might be an option if the containers are still in-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

Thank you! Yes I do see some very deep. I'll look for spare jointit or other on adverts.

Advertisement