Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky Situation

Options
  • 01-09-2023 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

(removed)

Post edited by oneilk977 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

With experience and life behind me I say do what you actually want to do. Anything done to appease others is not going to work, now or in the long term.

I can only guess how many people are out there doing or having done a course/work they never wanted to do. It has to lead to misery and life wasted.

Can you speak with your parents again? Both sides need to talk/listen.

Your mother has your best interests at heart but making someone do a Course they don't have an interest in is pointless.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Repeat the LC, this experience will have put "the proper frighteners" on you. You'll put in the hard work the second time around and be rewarded with the course you actually want. Nothing motivates like "the proper frighteners".

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Pack your bags say good bye to mum and dad and head to UK work on building site for a few years and see the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 electricrover88

You need to sit down with you parents and have a genuine talk, as mentioned before me. Argue that no matter how bad you did, it doesnt mean you can't make inputs about your own live. Both sides have a valid point but trust me when I say the last thing you want to do is jump into a sector you don't like because in the long term its going to eat you up knowing what you could have been. I don't understand why your parents are forcing you to do something you don't want to do.

Also that test is for people who are just shy of a h4 and have a strong foundation within higher level maths, no offence but someone who failed would really struggle and all your doing by attending is wasting time. I suggest you repeat as its the safest and best option out of the three. Plenty of time to increase your points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Do not do engineering if you haven't the interest, it will just be a slog and you will probably drop out.

if you want to repeat just stick to your guns.

there are many ways to get on and they don't all revolve around the leaving, you will actually see that in the next decade. It's wrong how much importance is put on it, and pressure on teenagers.

you are not a disappointment and I'm sure your parents don't think that, they are probably disappointed for you.

I'm currently studying part time (it's 30 yrs since my leaving😂) but my class is made up of all ages, including 5 in their 20s, all working and studying. There are many many options. Personally I would be of the opinion that everyone should have a 'gap' year after finishing school, to work and see the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Meanman

There is plenty of business courses on the "available places" list. They not be in the so-called top universities but my suggestion is do any Level 8 in business from the list and you can do a Masters afterwards in whatever area of business you have a particular interest.

Advertisement