Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 sqm Extension. What is required for a top-up?

Options
  • 01-09-2023 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm based in Dublin and hoping to get a 20 sqm extension at the back.

As per DCC, no planning permission is required and I found a builder who quoted ca. 55k (VAT incl.) for building the extension and small renovation in the existing house.

To get a top up, my bank requires that an architect/Engineer/Building Surveyor declares they will follow up the construction through all stages and provides its costs.

I looked around for an architect and I received a quote of ca. 17k, which is 31% of the building costs.

Is there an alternative? Would engineer services be cheaper?

Any advices?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,888 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wow! That is steep for a 20m2 extension. Shop around and maybe ask the bank for a recommendation. Architects, engineers, building surveyors, technicians can all submit the required documentation providing all are properly qualified and have PI insurance cover

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Why is the bank requiring this? We got a bank loan for a similar extension without any such requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 callmau

Was it a personal plan or a mortgage top up?

Personal loans are more flexible but more expensive too, plus term is easy shorter, so repayments higher.

One of the bank's application forms is about this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I see. Yes it was a personal loan. The repayments might be higher but much better option than adding to a mortgage, where you essentially pay the bank twice what you borrowed over a 30 year period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very expensive.

If you want I can PM a small form that could do this for you.

No connection to them other than using them previously for a few small jobs I prepared planning for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement