Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens replacement after having LASIK

Options
  • 01-09-2023 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with one of my eyes following LASIK a few years ago, the vision has regressed to how it was pre surgery. It's a long story. Anyway, LASEK has been suggested to improve the vision but with the warning that it "might make my eye short sighted" so with this vague sounding outcome I've decided against that option. This leaves me with lens replacement to correct my vision.

However I have been advised that that might not be a good solution either as scans of a cornea that has had laser surgery are not reliable. The machines can't give an accurate image apparently and so I'd be taking a chance with lens replacement.

So just wondering how true this is and if anyone has had that problem with the scans after laser surgery.

Would also appreciate hearing from anyone with experience of lens replacement a few years after laser surgery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

It is true that the corneal structure can be altered by LASIK surgery. The changes in corneal thickness and shape can affect the accuracy of measurements taken with certain instruments. However, experienced ophthalmologists are aware of this and can often use alternative methods or more advanced equipment to obtain the necessary measurements.

Lens Replacement is a viable option for vision correction after LASIK if other options are not suitable. Visit a professional optical care center and skilled optometrists who have experience with post-LASIK patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thank you so much for your reply. The original surgeon is telling me that a lens replacement wouldn't work so I'm guessing they are reluctant to have to do it, I would hope free of charge as they made a mistake with the first lasering, they made it short-sighted instead of giving me good distance vision.

Advertisement