Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it common to not hear back after an interview if unsuccessful?

Options
  • 31-08-2023 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I had an interview last Friday, which was probably one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. I didn't have all the necessary experience listed but the hiring manager said I seemed a great fit and that they were very impressed. They said they had a couple more people to interview but I would probably know by Wednesday. I haven't heard anything today either. Holding out hope on hearing something tomorrow but it's just a bit disappointing if nothing comes of it as I really thought I was in with a chance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,281 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not that common but it happens. Its more common if you apply directly, a recruiter will usually chase for responses (as they want to know whether to start pushing other options again or just wait, basically)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They might have another candidate who they prefer but they don't want to drop you as a candidate until they're sure about the other guy

It could be even more innocuous in that the approval process for the hiring could take ages. I remember it taking several weeks to hear back from one employer with a job offer, and they told me afterwards that they were literally waiting for one senior manager to sign off on the offer for two weeks

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

When the hiring manger was that positive I'd be surprised if they won't at least send a PFO (rejection letter).

Could easily be someone that needs to sign off is on leave or they might see you as a good second choice so want to wait until the first person accepts the offer and signs contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks everyone. If I don’t hear by Monday, should I send a follow up email or best to just move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This would happen so often in my place.

Such a waste of everyone's time (and money)

They'd be given the green light to advertise and hold interviews then when the candidate was selected there'd be a hold up.

By the time it was all signed off the candidate would often be hired elsewhere and the process starts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭AlanG

It would be no harm to ring and ask if they know where there will be an update. It's quite likley you coull be number 2 or 3 on th elist so they are waiting to see if the first choice takes it. Alternatively, sometimes the HR people are just slow getting back or they could have another person to interview that they are waiting for (for example an internal person on holidays or sick / parental leave - companies will sometimes have to hold off completing interviews for several weeks to ensure staff in these situations are not overlooked) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

I find it really bad form myself if a candidate is told that a response will come by a specific date, and then no response is coming. If you mention a specific date to a candidate, then you need to honour that, or else simply send a short note by that date stating that more time is needed. I will always make a point of doing so myself with anyone I am interviewing.

OP, for sure feel free to contact them and ask for an update. That will in no way work against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm starting to wonder if we worked in the same place because I had the exact same problems?

Had to wait weeks to hire a guy once because the approval got stuck waiting for one manager who was on holiday

The manager was in the C Suite...for hiring one junior level engineer. The next escalation was the CEO's office of a large multinational company

Needless to say we weren't in a hurry to escalate that one 😬

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No, I'm not in engineering or anything remotely engineering 😊

I sometimes think it's them trying to see if the position actually needs to be filled. Will others absorb the work with no extra pay.

When it reaches breaking point, usually with others handing in their notice as the situation has become so untenable, then the rocket might go under the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,032 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you haven’t heard by end of business on Monday it would be logical to conclude that you have been unsuccessful.

that said, it takes all of about 120 seconds to click on the ‘thanks but no thanks’ template on one’s desktop….add in a name, date, a few words, save, attach to email and hit send…..so regardless of the outcome it’s pretty shîtty on their behalf…. Funny how managers demand professionalism from staff but on so many occasions fall short of that standard themselves..

hopefully they just got busy or whatever and a positive outcome to your application will be forthcoming.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I sent an email to the hiring manager yesterday saying it was great to meet them and asked if there was an update. I didn't get a response so unfortunately think that's it now.

I would say it's about medium sized, but the hiring manager was also HR.

Advertisement