Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change into teaching at 28

Options
  • 31-08-2023 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am currently 28 and for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a school teacher. I did an undergrad degree in English and Politics but between this and that, I could never really afford to go back to student teaching. I'm just looking for a bit of advice, right now the only subjects I would be able to teach are English and Politics at Second Level, or I could repeat my Irish and attempt Primary.

I just wanted to know if there is anyone else in my position who could advise me on what path they took in order to try and fund themselves through the course? I've heard mixed things about getting jobs following qualification - so that leaves me very nervous in terms of trying to apply for a mortgage in the future, ect.

Appreciate any feedback on this - currently a bit heartbroken that I may not be able to achieve this goal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

It is now a two years masters with fees. However subbing can be available in schools during that time and you are free to work at weekends, summer and holidays. Many students do just this.

Where do you live and how flexible are you about location? There is a lot of work available in the Dublin area and in the East. Less so in more rural areas as with most jobs. Bigger urban schools will offer politics as a subject and smaller schools will not.

Regarding getting a job it is better to be flexible on location at the start and get good experience to work towards getting a job where you want location wise. This will stand to you at interview.

Like any career you have to establish yourself. I work in the west and any teachers being hired have years of full time experience elsewhere, mostly in their thirties. Our subs are people living locally who don’t want to work full time or masters students doing their training. It is a small school that does not offer politics as a subject.

However a school in an urban area like Dublin would more than likely be hiring plenty of younger teachers and subs. Some rural areas would struggle to get teachers also in certain subject areas.

Another option with secondary is to up skill once qualified with SEN or another subject part-time.

A friend I know who is an Irish teacher did a part-time degree in history in order to have a second subject. That’s also a possibility that can help career wise as you go forward.

It can be a very rewarding and enjoyable career. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

Nothing is guaranteed really... (Unless you played county 😁).

English is fairly common subject for teachers to have.

As mentioned above, Dublin's loss is Rural Ireland's gain. Two teachers from our Dublin school with years of experience packed their bags and headed back to the west from whence they came. They picked up full time positions fairly easy because of subjects and experience (maths... Irish).

So depends on where you live too.

I came into teaching after 30 so it is possible. If you do, please consider the atrocious pension. Put aside money for yourself when you retire and don't rely on department of education pension.

Advertisement