Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirting on plasterboard with metal stud

Options
  • 30-08-2023 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi

Any advice on how to affix skirting on a plasterboard that has a metal frame behind it instead of wood (Shanette shed). Normally I'd screw in to wooden battens and pull in the skirting that way, but not really possible with the steel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Glue is normally used here but I often find that the glue is too thick and causes the skirting board to come away slightly, needing to be filled at the top. I even tried getting the freshest PinkGrip from my builders-providers (checking each tube like you'd check your Brennan's bread), but it was still thick and sat out when I applied a board.

On some of the UK sites they talk about using expanding foam, but I tried that recently and I found that it still allowed the board to shift afterwards, even if it was the low-expansion stuff and had been allowed to sit for 4 mins before-hand. Spraying the wall with water before hand might negate some of that as it causes the PU foam to back-off slightly.

Advertisement