Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far does one go? Cost vs Benefit

Options
  • 30-08-2023 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

In an ideal world where money is no object of course we would all do what we can to reduce our engery bills and get our homes as comfortable as possible.

However we dont all live in an ideal world and we generally have set budgets to complete work. I am in the process of retrofitting a 1960's concrete house while adding on an extension. The original BER was F and my understanding is I need to get to a B2 for Grants ideally higher if we can.. So what I am doings is a follows

1). Rewire and replumb

2). New heating system water tank etc

3). Remove suspended floors in favour of underfloor heating downstairs and Rads upstairs

4). New insulation in the Attic and an external wrap..

5). New Windows and doors

6). Block or remove existing chimneys

That I assume will satisfy my B2 rating hopefully higher but it also means funds are now short. The dilema I have is what system do I use to power the heating? In aperfect world it would be heat pump but according to the builder the cost is probably not worth it so wondering if he is right. In essence the heat pump is the tip of the iceberg at 10k, Then you would need a heat recovery system, extra insulation, wider aluminium pipes for heat and aluminium radiators etc so all in you could be looking at 25k for a Heat pump over using the existing Gas boiler.

Also he said generally heat pumps are 10-11kw of output which in his opinion is not powerful enough for a house of our size 210sqm unless we get fully airtight and A rated otherwise we will be running constantly with huge bills. His advice is future prooof for solar and install when you can afford it, and also future proof for a heat pump and when they release 19-20kw pumps move then?

What are peoples opinion on above?

regards

Kev.

Advertisement